Ona – Information Technology and Services
Company: At Ona, we don’t just strive for diversity, we thrive on it. For Ona, diversity has been a spring board for creativity, innovation, and growth.
We are committed to giving equal opportunities to employees and applicants regardless of their race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, colour, nationality, age, marital status, or pregnancy status.
Position: Senior Software Engineer, Android / Java – Nairobi
We’re looking for developers who want to build foundational data systems that drive change.
Our team has worked on projects that record the social infrastructure of entire countries, tally the winners of national elections, and reduce infant mortality.
We build software that solves real problems and you will too.
Qualities we’re looking for
- You understand the importance of abstractions and interfaces. You keep modules loosely coupled and know that algorithms + data structures = programs.
- You read and understand existing systems before diving in. You know how to prototype, how to iterate, and when to step back and think it through or ask questions.
- You are committed to the projects you work on and need to see them through to completion. You understand that solving the user’s problem is the end goal.
- You stay up to date with the latest trends and are excited to learn new languages, tools, and best practices.
- You thrive in teams and projects that span timezones and cultures.
- You’re ready and excited to travel in order to support projects, no matter how dusty or remote.
- Minimum 3 years programming production Java web applications
- Minimum 3 years programming production Android applications
- Experience programming with APIs and service based architectures
- Experience with databases and their integration into web and Android applications
- Strong attention to detail and understanding of architectural dependencies.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
Nice to have
- Experience with ODK or data collection technology
- Experience working with remote teams
How to Apply
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Note describing why you are interested in working at Ona.
- Examples of your work. Link to your GitHub page, projects you’ve completed, or your website.
(bonus points) Build something cool using our API, or extend some software we’ve written.