Community Development Manager
The Community Development Manager (CDM) is a key part of the team responsible for helping Powerhive customers to start electricity-based businesses and to use power productively, helping to ensure that we meet our business and revenue targets by stimulating electricity demand in our communities.
The CDM will work at the community level in Kenya, developing and managing loans for electrical appliances and driving the creation of sustainable small businesses run by Powerhive customers.
At the regional and national levels, the CDM will connect our customers’ products and produce to value chains and markets, ensuring the continued professional and personal development of Powerhive communities.
- You have extensive experience in East Africa working at the grassroots level with farmers and microentrepreneurs.
- You’re an expert in developing and selling microloan products and implementing winning micro-business plans.
- You have deep experience with structuring, pricing, growing and managing portfolios of loans and working with clients at the bottom of the pyramid.
- Ideally fluent in Swahili, Kisii and English
- You are financially and technically savvy and have deep experience in supporting customers to start businesses and to purchase and manage assets while staying well within their means.
- Contribute to the development and lead the management of robust microenterprise and appliance loan programs to empower customer communities, including;
- Qualify, train and support customers to start microenterprises;
- Craft pathways and partnerships to get customer products and produce to market;
- Train customers on basic financial literacy and business mgmt;
- Serve as their support representative and ensure their success as entrepreneurs;
- Develop appropriate interventions for community development
- Develop and manage loan products and financial services to enable customers to build up assets and improve livelihoods
- Mitigate loan portfolio risk and ensure industry-leading payback rates
- Leverage existing village savings groups or other community groups where appropriate and facilitate meetings to educate members on becoming a part of Club Powerhive
- Work with the Director of Sales and Marketing to integrate community development products and services into Powerhive’s customer acquisition and customer engagement programs
- Customize community development interventions to fit dynamic and changing socioeconomic, cultural and ecological contexts throughout Kenya and into new markets
- Provide support in the development of ancillary services to potentially include water, internet and other revenue generating activities
- Develop and manage partnerships with financial partners and institutions to ensure ongoing sustainability of programs
- BA in business, economic development, agriculture or related field. Master’s degree or MBA preferred
- At least 5 years of experience in the microfinance sector working directly with bottom of the pyramid borrowers. Experience in crowdfunding will be an added advantage
- Deep financial acumen and business planning skills; ability to convey concepts and plans to rural Kenyan communities
- Patient, kind customer-facing demeanor and passion for sustainable, equitable development
- Proven track record in pro-poor, rural development initiatives that improve livelihoods at the household level
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently in rural areas including the ability to be based in Kisii County for a time
This position should be filled by 30th April, 2017.
Due to the large volumes of applications expected only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
“We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age”.