Save the Children
Finance & Grants Officer (Normal & Emergency Positions)
Team / Programme: Finance
Location: Nairobi, Wajir, Mandera, Lodwar
Post Type: National
Child Safeguarding: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Role Purpose: The Finance Officer will support in delivering the Finance teams’ objectives in a timely and accurate manner.
Support the Finance Coordinator and ensure that processing and reporting deadlines are fully met; financial controls and procedures are strictly adhered to by all field office staff.
Scope of Role:
Reports to: Finance Coordinator
Dimensions: Save the Children has been operational in Kenya since the 1950s, providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programs delivered both directly and through local partners.
Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, health, HIV/AIDS, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH.
In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined the programs of SC UK, SC Canada and SC Finland to create a single operation in Kenya.
In Feb 2014, we completed a second transition, which saw us join forces with the British INGO, Merlin, and merge their health and nutrition programs with our own.
Save the Children now has an operational presence in Bungoma, Dadaab Refugee Camp, Garissa, Mandera, Turkana and Wajir and we work through partners in many other parts of the country.
In 2016, Save the Children established a new project office in Madagascar whose operations are managed by the Kenya CO.
In total, we employ around 250 staff in both countries and had an operating annual budget in 2016 of approximately US$17.5million.
Staff directly reporting to this post: To be confirmed
- Assist the finance coordinator in maintaining a robust and adequate financial internal control systems and cash management in line with SCI’s Finance Manual, Awards management and good accounting practices
- Checking accuracy of data entry and data quality.
- Check cash documents before they are paid out by the Finance Assistant.
- Maintains financial security by following internal controls.
- Assist the Finance coordinator to ensure monthly financial diaries are strictly adhered to meet deadlines.
- Prepare recharge journals for posting and ensure that GLACOS for recharges are reviewed by Finance Coordinator before sending to Nairobi. Also ensure that the number of errors is minimised so as to avoid recharge journals.
- Monthly Review and verification of financial transactions/activities/documentation for accuracy, appropriateness and completeness and ensure full compliance of financial services and transactions with SCI rules, regulations, policies and recording and reporting systems.
- Ensuring compliance with taxation legislation.
- Prepare all suppliers payment on time and prepare cheques or input in the banking online system, Review and verify financial transactions/activities/documentation for accuracy, appropriateness and completeness and ensure full compliance of financial services and transactions with SCI rules, regulations, policies and recording and reporting systems.
- Ensure weekly and monthly cash counts are made by an independent senior manager.
- Ensure proper files are maintained and well secured in the Finance Department to enable a complete audit trail from the Agresso FMS accounts records to supporting documentation and vice versa.
- Ensure that grant closure is being dealt with correctly and that no charges are made to closed grants.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency