Job Title: School Nurse
Job Code: SN/RS/170420
Number of Positions Open: 1
Reports To: Head Teacher
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Job Purpose: To create an environment that promotes healthy living, improves wellbeing and is responsive to the health needs of individual children and the Community at large.
- Refer students or patients to specialized health resources or community agencies furnishing assistance
- Maintain accurate, detailed reports and records and submit termly reports.
- Administer medications to patients and monitor patients for reactions or side effects
- Monitor, record, and report symptoms or changes in patients’ conditions
- Provide health care, first aid, immunizations, vaccinations or assistance in convalescence or rehabilitation in the school.
- Prescribe or recommend drugs, medical devices, or other forms of treatment, such as physical therapy, inhalation therapy, or related therapeutic procedures.
- Perform physical examinations, make tentative diagnoses, and treat patients/ students en route to hospitals.
- Provide training for school based staff and support students with special needs like diabetes, asthma, HIV etc.
- Make individual health plans for students with disabilities or long term health conditions.
- Coordinate emergency evacuation for sick persons to hospitals and update the parents accordingly.
- Share public awareness information and provide advice for parents, carers and school staff on childhood illnesses and the management and control of infectious diseases.
- Order drugs and related stock.
- Provide confidential health advice to students and staff.
- Assess the health needs of the whole school community and develop a health plan.
- Raise awareness of threats to health issues like smoking, drugs and alcohol abuse
- Promote healthy living, including abstinence campaigns
- Train teachers and all staff on healthcare issues
- Provide advice on school health policy that encompasses mental health and wellbeing, including dealing with depression and bullying.
- Support children with medical needs like asthma, diabetes, epilepsy or mental health issues and eating disorders.
Key Performance Areas:
- Providing health care and first aid services to the school community.
- Maintain accurate records of the sick room
- Promote a healthy living lifestyle
Key Performance Measures:
- Students and staff have adequate health care when needed
- Sick room has up to date medication and equipment
Qualifications, Training and Experience:
Academic and professional qualifications
- Diploma Nursing, preferably Kenya Registered Community Health Nursing
- Licensed by the Nursing Council of Kenya
- Other short courses in HIV/AIDS, Drugs and Substance abuse prevention an added advantage
Technical knowledge, skills and competencies
- Knowledge of the information and techniques used to treat and diagnose injuries
- First aid competence
- Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counselling and guidance.
- Fluency in both English and Swahili languages.
- Knowledge of human behaviour and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioural and affective disorders.
- Computer literacy and basic computer skills
- Over 5 years of relevant work experience
- Excellent communication and listening skills
- The ability to win the trust of children and encourage them to talk about their problems
- The ability to explore sensitive issues with tact, understanding and patience
- The ability to stay calm in an emergency
- Record-keeping and organisational skills
How to Apply:
Interested candidates holding the necessary requirements, good performance and / or references are encouraged to apply with detailed CV’s, inclusive of names and contacts of 3 referees, current telephone number and email address by clicking on: School Nurse
Kindly include your current and expected remuneration in your resume.