Job Title: Regional Sales Agronomist
Across Africa smallholder families are struggling to make more productive use of their farmland. Most are currently unable to produce enough, either to feed their families an adequate nutritional diet, or to sell in the market and generate sufficient income to meet other needs.
Population growth exerts continuous pressure on arable land, resulting in family shamba sizes shrinking with each generation, and/or triggering local migration from densely populated high-potential agricultural zones into more marginal land in the semi-arid areas.
Whichever the scenario, they need the right technologies to grow more food more often, and to produce crops of higher nutritional and market value.
Of particular concern – one of the topmost priorities –is the issue of soil health. African farmland soils are badly depleted, due to continuous farming land not allowed to rejuvenate, which is worsened by nutrient mining without replenishing soil nutrients.
The smallholder‘s challenge is either to produce more food and more income from less and less land with rapidly deteriorating soils, or to turn drylands into productive farms. So the right technologies must include those which can restore and improve soil health and fertility.
Currently the most widely known and available technologies are inorganic fertilizers, which are not matched to the particular needs of specific soils or agro-economic zones.
The lack of knowledge and access to organic fertilizers hinders farmers‘ uptake of sustainable agricultural practices.
In 2011 Wanda Agriculture was established to address these challenges and deliver along the triple bottom line – profit, people and planet.
Having completed its technology research and licensing phase, proof of concept stage and first half of its pilot phase, the company has split into two strategic units – Wanda Organic to produce effective soil and plant health solutions and Wanda Mobile to distribute the solutions and service the end user.
In efforts to build capacity and prepare for the scale-up phase Wanda is recruiting for the following position:
Job Title: Regional Sales Agronomist
Reports To: Extension Sales Manager
Direct Reports: Contractors
Responsible for: Responsible for supervising the day to day running of the regions sales, staff maximization to ensure the efficient delivery of its operations.
- Strategy formulation – participate in annual planning and quarterly review of strategy
- Recruitment of contractors – interviewing, selection, on-boarding and exit of the team in line with company policies and procedures.
- Daily operations management – Set work schedule and ensure they are followed including on ground support where necessary as per agreed strategy.
- Reporting – Daily reports to immediate supervisor including three days of monthly status workshop at the head office.
- Training – periodic training of contractors with the focus on agronomy and sales skills.
- Customer complaint management – on ground support for customer complaint about product use and efficacy.
- Relationship Management & company representation – maintain stakeholder relationship within respective territory.
Key Performance Measures
- Sales Targets
- Customer acquisition and maintenance metrics
- Company efficiency (Processes and systems)
- Team satisfaction and turnover.
Knowledge, experience and qualifications required
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture or related field.
- Minimum of 5 – 7 years of sales experience
- Must have dealt with agrochemicals and fertilizer sales in farms.
- Previous experience in a supervisory capacity
- SAP experience preferred
- Willing to travel widely throughout Kenya
Personal skills and attributes required
- Communication, sales, and customer service skills.
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to multi‐task and work under pressure
Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org