Job Vacancy: Project Accountant
Since 1963 and in 145 countries, ACDI / VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy.
Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI / VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society.
The REGAL-AG program represents a USAID investment in select areas to improve the inclusiveness and competitiveness of the livestock value chain in Northern Kenya while furthering livestock-related economic opportunities
The accountant is responsible for the implementation of accounting tasks, policies and procedures for the USAID-funded REGAL-AG program, including but not limited to the responsibilities outlined below.
The position will be based in Nairobi.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee financial transactions and activities
- Prepare payroll payments for local employees, including calculating, withholding and recording all applicable income taxes and other social payments based on Kenyan tax rules and other ACDI VOCA discretionary benefits
- Prepare accounting vouchers ( payment and journal) and ensure that all supporting documentation ( invoices and receipts) are attached
- Review payments and verify that every release of funds is backed-up by supporting documents (e.g. pro-forma invoices, bills) and has been authorized before submitting to Chief of Party ( COP) or other authorized signatory
- Record journal entries in the QuickBooks accounting system and ensure that all financial transactions are properly coded per the ACDI VOCA chart of Accounts.
- Process funds requests and internally control fund use and amounts paid using appropriate checks and controls.
- Verify timesheets collected, filled out and checked by Human Resource/administrative officer in terms of leave records, updating accrued leave and travel advances.
- Review and verify cash disbursements from petty cash
- Coordinate closely with the Finance/Office Managers in the field offices compiling their monthly financial statements with the Nairobi office, and facilitating bank advances, if necessary.
- Monitor financial compliance with ACDI VOCA and USAID requirements
- Notify the Finance Manager and/or COP in writing about any concerns risks or misuse of resources and report any illegitimate expenses, misuse of funds or other false financial claims
- Keep all sensitive Regal-AG program financial information confidential
- Perform other finance related duties as assigned by the Finance Manager