AFEX, a Lonrho company, provides camp construction, catering, management and logistics support to the Oil and Gas, Mining, UN and NGO sectors, in some of the most remote corners of Africa.
With headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, AFEX provides international standard service delivery, combined with 30 years of regional operational experience.
The AFEX Team is dedicated to ensuring clients have peace of mind that their projects will run on schedule and to budget, with their personnel being cared for to a high international standard.
AFEX wishes to recruit a competent, innovative and self-driven person to fill the following position:
Head of Construction & Maintenance
The successful candidate will be responsible for all aspects of the Construction and Maintenance services for AFEX Group.
Liaising with clients, to design and construct accommodation and camps that match clients’ need and are functional, safe and economical and ensuring that all construction staff deliver services and products that meet British, Kenyan and AFEX standards.
Responsible for Maintenance Services, using “Agility Software”, ensuring all units operate a comprehensive PPM schedule exercising due diligence and asset management control.
Responsible for all costing for both construction and maintenance and budget preparation and management.
The successful candidate will report to the Managing Director and will be based at AFEX Head Office in Nairobi with field travel to AFEX Camps and Facilities and other locations.
Key Duties and Tasks:
- Meet regularly with the Managing Director to discuss future and up-coming opportunities, updates on current work, ideas for better construction and camp design and possibility for cost savings.
- Together with Business Development Team, meet with clients to discuss and agree the build requirements.
- Design the camp layout, indicating accommodation configuration, kitchens, mess areas, ablution blocks, etc. and developing new ideas that better suit client needs.
- Question and clarify the detail with the clients for better specific design plans such as bathroom and kitchen units.
- Visit the site with construction team, to understand the lay of the land and design the water and sewage works, the laying of power lines and the various accommodation units required and access points.
- Work with Costing and Financial planning team to put the cost and budgets together for the build.
- Work with the Construction team to ensure that all construction bids have accurate costing figures.
- Together with the Electrical Eng., design the detailed electric diagrams for the power supply and ensure the correct quality and quantity of components.
- Work with cost analyst to develop a buy list of items required.
- Oversee procurement to ensure good suppliers with right standard and quantity that meets AFEX minimum standard.
- Work with key suppliers such as, waste water treatment companies and high value component suppliers.
- Once construction works start, become the main point of contact with the client and receive daily reports from the project managers on how the build is progressing.
- Provide feedback to Project Managers and look to improve the way we work and to provide a better service to the client.
- Visit the site to check on the implementation of the build, that AFEX QHSE SOPs are being followed and review what is happening.
- Liaise with client, asking for feedback and keeping abreast of any issues or new developments as they arise and provide solutions and sort out problems.
- Design and plan additional construction requests and ad hoc accommodation build requests and update the Managing Director for contract amendment and costing.
- Support and build direct line staff and AFEX Kenya employees in general by setting challenging annual performance targets and strong development goals.
- Participate in sector and business groupings and meetings, to develop strong partnerships and networks to enable personal growth and opportunity for organizational development.
- Visit manufacturers to keep up to date with new ideas, quality and safest improvements on components and items in the market.
- Attend seminars, conferences and short courses to keep up to date and ensure continuous personal development.
- To understand the AFEX requirement for QHSE in the workplace including employee and team responsibilities, to ensure continuous adherence to QHSE policies, procedures and work instructions and to proactively promote a quality, health and safety approach in all areas of your work.
- Support and build direct line staff by setting challenging annual performance targets and strong development goals.
- Work in full accordance with AFEX Group policies, procedures, work instructions and all relevant elements of AFEX Management Systems.