Internship for a Documentalist
The African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) is an international non-profit policy think tank whose mission is to translate and enable utilisation of research evidence in policy-making in the fields of Population Change and Sustainable Development, Health Systems Strengthening, Education and Skills Development (Transformative Education) and Strengthening Capacity for demand and use of Research Evidence in policy-making spaces in Africa.
We work to bridge the gap between research, policy and practice by enabling use of research evidence in decision-making aimed at addressing various development challenges in Africa.
With our Head Office in Nairobi-Kenya and a branch office in Lilongwe-Malawi, we are seeking experienced and highly motivated individual(s) to fill the following position(s).
AFIDEP seeks to offer a six-month internship to a recently graduated documentalist or librarian or information resources management professional.
The internship provides an opportunity for the successful candidate to put their knowledge and skills to work in organising the Institute’s information collection.
The successful candidate will work under the guidance of AFIDEP’s Communications Officer and other team members.
Specific tasks to be undertaken are below.
Responsibilities (Objectives and Tasks)
1. Organise AFIDEP’s information collection
- Weed out unnecessary information materials and propose a disposal mechanism.
- Establish a simple but useful documentation system that allows the coherent storage, access and retrieval of information materials.
2. Facilitate the operationalisation of the library / resource centre as an access point for present and future print information resources.
- Organise the information collection using the documentation system developed.
- Provide documentation on the logic followed in organisation of the collection for future use.
- Contribute to story writing for AFIDEP website, newsletter and other communication platforms.
3. Support other communication functions (if time allows)
- Support organisation of AFIDEP events as may be necessary.
- Support social media engagement.
- Support other communication functions as may be assigned.
Qualifications / Expertise
- A Bachelor’s degree in Information Science, Library Science, Records Management.
- An understanding of information management and the value addition in organisational knowledge management functions.
- Previous relevant internships where candidate has undertaken similar or related tasks.
- Good writing skills.
- A team player with good communication skills and able to work in a dynamic fast-paced environment.
- Good leadership skills and self-initiative in undertaking tasks.
Engagement terms: The engagement will be an internship for a period of six months, with a monthly transport and subsistence allowance of Kshs. 40,000.
How to apply:
(1) one-page cover letter;
(2) CV of not more than 5 (five) pages-including 3 (three) relevant referees;
(3) 1 (one) page motivation statement detailing career goals and interests to the contact below by 2nd June 2017.
Application letters should have the title of the position as the subject as well as subject of email for email applicants.
Only qualified applicants shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.
Finance and Administration Manager
African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP),
Westcom Point Building, Mahinga Mairu Avenue (Off Waiyaki Way), Westlands Nairobi
P.O. Box 14688 00800 Nairobi, Kenya