Job Vacancy: Climate Smart Agriculture & Climate Finance Expert
Job Profile: The Climate Expert at Solidaridad’s Regional Expertise Centre (REC) will be responsible for the development and implementation of the regional climate strategy and acquisition of climate-related funding.
S/He will work in close coordination with the Solidaridad Africa Continent Climate Expert and the Network’s Global Climate Task Force.
The main thematic areas include the development and monitoring of adaptation and mitigation strategies in commodity and landscape projects and fundraising.
Another important area is the development and implementation of benefit sharing mechanisms to bridge the gap between climate finance and (agricultural) producer livelihoods.
As a data-driven organization, Solidaridad aims to measure producer performance and is developing innovative monitoring tools to measure climate performance.
The Climate Expert will be the linking pin between the climate change community (where tools and systems are developed), the IT and PME specialists of Solidaridad (that integrate climate parameters in monitoring systems) and the programme managers and partners on the ground (who implement projects and work with agricultural producers and workers – the main target groups).
Beside these technical tasks, the Climate Expert will play a key role in engaging with policy actors, raising funds and ensuring communication, learning and exchange between the members of the regional, continental and network teams.
The Climate Expert will report to the Solidaridad Eastern and Central Africa Expertise Centre Managing Director based in Nairobi and to Senior Climate Specialist based in West Africa REC and who is a member of the Solidaridad Network Climate Change (Innovation) Taskforce.
Main Experience and Job Requirements
- At least five years of experience in implementation and monitoring of climate smart agriculture / landscape projects, preferably with adaptation focus;
- Demonstrated experience and success in fundraising.
- Master’s degree in environmental / climate science, agronomy, geography or other relevant field;
- Familiarity with National and Regional climate change initiatives (REDD+, national action plans), and global UNFCCC and the Paris Agreement.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with UN or national Adaptation projects, the Green Climate Fund and/or the World Bank Group climate funds is desirable.