Vacancy: Data Officer
Deutsche Stiftung Weltbevölkerung (DSW) is an international development organisation that focuses on the needs and potential of the largest youth generation in history.
We are committed to creating demand for and access to health information, services and supplies, and to securing their right for a brighter future.
We achieve this by engaging in advocacy, capacity development, and family planning initiatives, which make sure the youth of today are empowered to lead healthy and self-determined lives.
With our headquarters in Hannover, Germany, DSW maintains four country offices in Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda, as well as liaison offices in Berlin and Brussels.
For more information, please see www.dsw.org
DSW seeks to recruit a Data Officer to be based in Mombasa field office, Kenya.
The Data Officer’s position is part of the M&E unit, which manages data emanating from all project activities from collection through analysis and use.
The Unit provides technical assistance to both program staff and partners to build capacity for M&E activities and programs.
Areas of Responsibility
The Data Officer is a member of an inter-related project team.
The DO is responsible for ensuring quality in collection, cleaning and entry of community and health facility data into the project databases as well as ensuring compliance in the use of relevant data tools.
S/he will work closely with the Project and Regional Programme Coordinators as well as the National Team Coordinator – Evaluation & Research.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator – OVC, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Ensure that program data from field sites have been verified and entered in the respective programmatic databases in a timely manner, correctly and accurately, ready for analysis and report generation
- Participate in identifying training needs and capacity building for project staff and partners
- Provide support for data collection, analysis, dissemination, and use by project staff
- Participate in routine data quality exercises in close collaboration with the Project Coordinator
- Identify and flag inconsistent data reported during project implementation and routine data quality audits
- Collaborate with the M&E Team to provide technical support to program staff in monitoring and evaluation practices
- Ensure that appropriate, data collection tools are available in all supported facilities and implementing partners and maintain clear, updated tracking record of tools;
- Ensure that project data tallies with county data
- Perform regular data quality checks as per direction from the M&E Coordinator
- Assist in data cleaning, aggregation and basic data analysis as directed by the M&E Coordinator
- Work together with M&E team to provide regular, scheduled feedback to project staff
- Support the Project Coordinator in project documentation and report compilation
- Provide linkages with Ministry on Health staff on support supervision and membership in relevant Technical Working Groups
- Degree in Health Records & Information Technology or Statistics
- Three years’ experience in OVC, particularly in the area of child protection, education and health
- Solid experience in data quality exercises and data entry
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Training and capacity building skills
- Ability to meet strict deadlines and work under minimum supervision
- Ability to work independently and to proactively identify and address data issues
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Good working knowledge of USAID reporting
- Preference for good working knowledge with Excel, Access, SPSS, or other statistical programs
DSW is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation.
If interested, please send your application (CV and motivation letter stating your salary expectations) with the reference “Data Officer – Mombasa” clearly indicated in the email subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for application: May 17th, 2017
Ideal start date: Immediate
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted and will be required to attend interviews in Mombasa.
DSW is an equal opportunity employer and does not require applicants to pay money at any stage during the recruitment process.