Emergency Response Nutrition & Office Manager (Garissa)
Employee Type: Temporary
Employee Category: Not Applicable
Under the supervision of the Nutrition Coordinator, the Nutrition Manager shall be responsible for the overall implementation of emergency nutrition program and office management of the Garrisa IRC office.
The nutrition response encompasses outreach response to the drought affected populations in central and Loima sub counties of Turkana.
This will be done by running of selective feeding program, blanket supplementary feeding programme, nutrition surveillance & assessments including Mass MUAC screenings, promotion of mother infant and young child nutrition (MIYCN) through the community health volunteers.
He/she will be responsible for managing emergency nutrition responses, working with national partner organizations to implement an IMAM programme and, where necessary, food distributions. The role will include close co-operation with local authorities and stakeholders including INGOs and UN bodies.
- Supervise and coordinate the implementation and monitoring of nutrition project activities in line with proposal targets and work plan timelines
- Provide technical assistance, supervision and coaching to MOH and partner staff in screening, outreach, CMAM, IYCF and possibly BSFP.
- Participate in inter-agency coordination at field level and represent IRC with local authorities when required.
- Provide periodic reports as needed.
- Participate in assessments when necessary.
- Provide remote support to outreach teams through processing of supplies requests and liaising with MOH, WFP and UNICEF.
- Participating in Nutrition Cluster meetings at field level Conduct nutritional surveillance based on agreed methodologies including surveys, process monitoring, SMART, LQAS, SQUEAC and other rapid methods.
- Oversee implementation and integration of comprehensive growth monitoring program In the outreach sites and IRC MOH supported facilities
- Plan and actively involve the community in marking recognized nutrition related days.
- Directly manage, supervise and mentor the programs and operations staff of the Garrisa Program.
- Ensure that all performance evaluations for all staff are conducted on time, and review all evaluations to ensure quality and consistency;
- Support in identifying training needs for the staff and make appropriate recommendations
- Ensure that administrative matters of the field office are carried out in accordance with IRC HR and administration policies;
- Ensure that all IRC staff at the Field level comply with the IRC Code of Conduct/IRC WAY and other relevant policies pertaining to staff conduct
- Monitoring and supervising emergency nutrition staff to ensure work is performed efficiently
- Routinely monitor staff performance according to their job description and provide written feedback in a timely manner
- Review personnel issues and concerns of nutrition staff and assist with determining and implementing solutions
- Participate in recruitment of emergency staff as appropriate.
- Oversee the carrying out of supply chain operations by Garrisa SC staff, including procurement (both local and through Nairobi HQ Office), stock management, asset management, vehicle operations, equipment maintenance and repair (including communications and computer equipment);
- Coordinate all transport and travel arrangements for the Garrissa Programme in collaboration with NBI Supply Chain team.
- Ensure compliance with IRC and donor Supply Chain policies at all times.
- Support and ensure accurate staff movement planning at all times
- Monitor utilization of IRC nutrition supplies; monitor and track IRC nutrition sector assets and ensure timey reporting to WFP and MOH
- Review of all nutrition program purchase requisitions.
Monitoring and reporting
- Closely monitor and make sure nutrition performance indicators are within the recommended standards including
- Attend meetings concerning nutrition program issues
- Keep the nutrition coordinator informed of all developments through regular reports
- Attend all health and nutrition coordination meetings and management meetings in the field.
- Compile weekly, monthly reports and donor reports.
Finance and grant management
- Oversee the financial management of field office operations by the Garrissa program staff, including cash management, issuing and tracking advances, ensuring complete and correct use of all finance forms; timely notice to Nairobi of cash transfer/petty cash needs;
- Ensure compliance with IRC and donor finance policies at all times
- Prepare spending plans for the program based on the available budget
- Attend and participate in monthly budget review meetings, with records of updated expenditure records and spending plans
- Ensure adherence to the nutrition program budget by reviewing expenditure
- Provide recommendations and interventions to correct any identified deviations that impact on budget adherence
- With support from the Security Manager, monitor the security situation and development in IRC operational areas with implications for staff safety and for program implementation;
- Maintain Health and Safety standards in by carrying out regular inspection of the office updating warning notices and up-dating first aid kits with the support of the Security Manager.
- Ensures policies and procedures are in compliance with applicable IRC, funding source and government policies, procedures and requirements.
- Ensures Garrisa staff act in accordance with the IRC policies
- Promptly informs the supervisor on any areas of concern or potential or suspected violations.
- Field Office Manager effectively communicates all relevant compliance issues during program design / development and Grant Opening & Closing Meetings, or as encountered.
- Perform any other duty as directed by the supervisor
Key Result Areas
- Successful implementation of the nutrition emergency response
- Monitor and ensure improvement and maintenance of public health nutrition performance indicators as per SPHERE/UNHCR/WHO standards
- Monitor all nutrition program expenditure against budgets and ensure an appropriate burn rate.
- Ensure steady supply of all the nutrition program supplies.
- Ensure nutrition surveillance and assessments are continuously conducted
- Timely submission of monthly and donor reports.
- Capacity building of nutrition staff
- Maintain nutrition team as per the budget specifications
- Represent IRC in nutrition meetings.
- MUST have a Bachelor’s degree in nutrition dietetics
- Extensive experience in administration and management as an Office Manager or similar position, most of which must have been spent working with an international NGO.
- Master’s in Public Health Nutrition preferred
- Willingness to put in extra hours in emergencies
- MUST be a registered by KNDI.
Required Experience & Competencies:
- A minimum of 3 years of professional experience in nutrition, public health, nutrition planning and management and/or in relevant areas of maternal, infant and child health/nutrition care at program management level is required
- Experience in emergency response is added advantage
- Experience in designing and implementing nutrition surveys and other methodologies,
- Knowledge in computer statistical packages such as SMART and basic data analysis skills.
- Experience in managing a nutrition program in emergencies
- Working in resource poor environment and complex emergencies
- Strong analytical skills, sound judgment and the capacity to think and plan strategically, including the ability to produce high quality programs through development implementation.
- Experience of supervising culturally diverse staff with varying in abilities, capacity and experience
- Flexible and positive personality
- Strong planning and implementation capacity
- Confident and capable negotiator, communicator and networker.
Please apply on or before 12th June, 2017.