Excellent Career Openings
Our client, The Energy Regulatory Commission (the Commission) is a State Corporation established under the Energy Act, 2006.
The Commission is the sector regulatory agency responsible for economic and technical regulation of electric power, renewable energy and downstream petroleum sub-sectors.
This includes tariff setting and review, licensing, enforcement of standards, energy sector plans preparation, dispute settlement and approval of power purchase and network service contracts for the benefit of the all stakeholders.
The Commission is seeking to recruit a suitably qualified, experienced, result-oriented and highly motivated Kenya citizen to fill the following vacant position:
Energy Planner II
Ref. No ERC/EP/01
Reporting to the Senior Energy Planner, the successful candidate will be supporting preparation of national energy plans, reviewing and analyzing trade agreements in the energy sector, and assisting in monitoring and evaluation of implementation of sector plans.
- Assist in preparing indicative national energy plans (Petroleum Development indicative plan, Renewable Energy plan and Least Cost Power Development Plan) and strategies;
- Participation in Reviewing and analyzing statutory trading arrangements; including electric power purchase agreements, network service contracts and petroleum refining, storage and pipeline transportation contracts;
- Monitoring, evaluation and enforcement of sector utility performance targets;
- Assist in Conducting capacity building in energy- planning modeling and analysis;
- Assist in updating relevant analytical power planning tools in Demand forecasting, infrastructure development planning and evacuation timing;
- Assist in Vision 2030 projects monitoring and reporting to the vision 2030 secretariat;
- Assist in coordinating Cost of Services Studies; and
- Preparation of position papers and briefs as may be required from time to time.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills Required
- A Masters degree in Economics, Economic Policy Management, Energy Economics, Operations research, Economic policy and planning, Statistics or Econometrics;
- A Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Strategic Planning; Statistics or Mathematics, from a recognized university;
- At least five (5) years relevant experience in a busy planning or data analysis environment;
- Proficiency in use of econometrics software such as PSSE, Eviews, STATA, Excel or other relevant software;
- Good understanding of the energy sector; and
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, computing, analytical, decision making and report writing skills.
Other mandatory requirements and information for all positions:
In addition to the skills stated above, applicants shall be expected to;
1) To be excellent team players with good planning, interpersonal communication, report writing, problem solving, decision making and supervisory skills;
2) Be of high standards of integrity;
3) Have proficiency in computers and MS Office packages; and
4) Be able to communicate effectively in English & Kiswahili.
Applicants are further required to provide a detailed CV indicating their current and previous employers, positions held, current and expected salary, names of at least three professional referees, education and professional certificates together with a copy of national identity card or passport.