Excellent Career Openings
Our client, The Energy Regulatory Commission (the Commission) is a State Corporation established under the Energy Act, 2006.
The Commission is the sector regulatory agency responsible for economic and technical regulation of electric power, renewable energy and downstream petroleum sub-sectors.
This includes tariff setting and review, licensing, enforcement of standards, energy sector plans preparation, dispute settlement and approval of power purchase and network service contracts for the benefit of the all stakeholders.
The Commission is seeking to recruit a suitably qualified, experienced, result-oriented and highly motivated Kenya citizen to fill the following vacant position:
Senior Legal Counsel
Ref. No ERC/SLC/01
Reporting to Commission Secretary and Director Legal services, the successful candidate will be responsible for preparation of contracts, support law enforcement and draft charge sheets.
- Prepare and vet contracts, leases and other legal documents;
- Provide support on law enforcement and ensure compliance by licensees, by undertaking surveillance and compliance audits;
- Support the relevant law enforcement agencies in drafting charge sheets, and other documents necessary for successful prosecution of offenders under the energy sector;
- Advice and undertake prosecution of cases within the provisions of the relevant law;
- Develop and review the law, regulations and codes relating to ERC operations as may be necessary;
- Monitor development of new legislation in Kenya and provide analysis/briefs on the effect of such legislation to ERC and the Energy sector operations;
- Work in liaison with other Statutory bodies and Government departments to develop policy papers on the Energy Sector;
- Monitor and advise on compliance with contractual obligations;
- Research on legal challenges in the energy sector; and
- Advice management and the Commission on legal issues affecting day to day management;
Qualifications, Experience & Skills Required
- A Bachelor’s in Law degree from a recognized University;
- A Masters degree from a recognized University will be an added advantage;
- A Diploma in Legal practice from the Kenya School of Law;
- Have a current practicing certificate;
- At least Five (5) years post qualification experience in a busy law firm or corporation;
- Have excellent understanding of the legal issues relating to the energy sector; and
- Have excellent analytical, communication and decision making skills.
Other mandatory requirements and information for all positions:
In addition to the skills stated above, applicants shall be expected to;
1) To be excellent team players with good planning, interpersonal communication, report writing, problem solving, decision making and supervisory skills;
2) Be of high standards of integrity;
3) Have proficiency in computers and MS Office packages; and
4) Be able to communicate effectively in English & Kiswahili.
Applicants are further required to provide a detailed CV indicating their current and previous employers, positions held, current and expected salary, names of at least three professional referees, education and professional certificates together with a copy of national identity card or passport.