Excellent Career Openings
Our client, The Energy Regulatory Commission (the Commission) is a State Corporation established under the Energy Act, 2006.
The Commission is the sector regulatory agency responsible for economic and technical regulation of electric power, renewable energy and downstream petroleum sub-sectors.
This includes tariff setting and review, licensing, enforcement of standards, energy sector plans preparation, dispute settlement and approval of power purchase and network service contracts for the benefit of the all stakeholders.
The Commission is seeking to recruit suitably qualified, experienced, result-oriented and highly motivated Kenya citizens to fill the following vacant positions:
Technical Officer II, Petroleum
Ref. No ERC/TOP/01
Reporting to the Petroleum Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing technical advice and support in the development of petroleum standards, regulations and tariffs.
The jobholder will also be responsible for enforcement of standards and regulations, undertaking compliance and conformity audits, processing of applications for construction permits for petroleum facilities, processing of petroleum business license applications, monitoring of petroleum stockholding by oil marketing companies and handling of petroleum related inquiries directed to the Commission.
- Processing and issuance of petroleum business licenses in accordance with the established regulations;
- Processing and issuance of construction permits for petroleum installations;
- Carrying out compliance and conformity audits of petroleum facilities;
- Enforcement of standards on quality of petroleum products, facilities and petroleum handling equipment;
- Receiving and responding to petroleum related inquiries;
- Monitoring of the fuel marking program and supervision of the petroleum fuels marking and monitoring contractor;
- Provision of technical support to the Economic Regulation Department in the setting and review of petroleum pump prices and monitoring of compliance of petroleum retail stations with the maximum caps published;
- Development of standards for petroleum products, facilities and equipment in conjunction with the Kenya Bureau of Standards;
- Participation in the legal drafting of subsidiary regulations under the Energy Act;
- Investigation and provision of reports on petroleum related accidents and incidents; and
- Monitoring of petroleum stockholding by oil marketers and preparation of reports advising on the security of supply situation in the country.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills required
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Physical Sciences from a recognized university;
- A minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience;
- Good understanding of the petroleum sub-sector in Kenya; and
- Sound analytical skills.
Other mandatory requirements and information for all positions:
In addition to the skills stated above, applicants shall be expected to;
1) To be excellent team players with good planning, interpersonal communication, report writing, problem solving, decision making and supervisory skills;
2) Be of high standards of integrity;
3) Have proficiency in computers and MS Office packages; and
4) Be able to communicate effectively in English & Kiswahili.
Applicants are further required to provide a detailed CV indicating their current and previous employers, positions held, current and expected salary, names of at least three professional referees, education and professional certificates together with a copy of national identity card or passport.