International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Job Vacancy: Pediatric Clinical Officer – Kakuma
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
Job Purpose / Objective: Working under the guidance and supervision of the Medical Officer In Charge of Clinics, the clinical officer is directly responsible for the overall management of the clinic assigned.
He or she will specifically be responsible for:
- Overall team leader of the pediatric department and provide direction to the rest of the team in the pediatric department.
- In coordination with the Medical Officer in Charge of the Hospital/CSM and involvement of nursing officer in charge of the department develop objectives of the department and yearly work-plan.
- Ensure pediatric patients are attended to on time with proper and prudent management in line with latest guideline on integrated management of childhood illnesses.
- Ensure management of children with acute malnutrition in line with latest integrated management of acute malnutrition guidelines
- Ensure high quality of patient care by conducting regular quality of care assessments in the pediatric department and implementing recommendations thereof.
- Report notifiable diseases immediately to immediate supervisor and ensure isolation of highly communicable diseases with management based on most current guidelines/protocol.
- Participate in daily morning hospital meetings giving guidance on management of complicated pediatric conditions.
- Participate in the Hospital Call system.
- Arrange a rotation schedule with fellow clinicians to ensure good coverage in the pediatric department at all times.
- Prepare monthly work/activity plans for him/herself for review by the M.O I/C of the Hospital or CSM.
- Ensure a participatory and inclusive atmosphere by fostering good relations with all stakeholders including the pediatric department staff and members of the refugee community.
- Ensure high quality programming at the pediatric department with mainstreaming of the principles of protection (safe programming), disaster risk reduction and environmental awareness activities.
- Participate in camp health surveys and campaigns e.g. Nutrition, Immunization as may be required.
Human Resource Management
- Monitoring and supervision of the medical staff; both national and refugee to ensure that work is done properly and efficiently in the department.
- Routinely monitor staff performance according to their job description and set objectives.
- Evaluation and appraisal of staff through the IRC Performance Management process as maybe required by the supervisor.
- Develop ongoing education programs for department based staff of up to date protocols and guidelines.
- Help review personnel issues and concerns of medical staff in pediatric department and assist with determining and implementing solutions.
- Determine personnel needs for department level activities and in coordination with the Human Resource office take part in recruitment of incentive staff.
- Ensure and advice that emergency medical equipment needed in managing pediatric emergencies are available and in working condition at the facility.
- Monitor and ensure the proper usage of program supplies.
- Participate in annual program planning process and budget implementation.
- Recommend budget revisions to focus on priority areas in management of pediatric conditions.
Communication and Reporting
- Monitor closely morbidity and mortality trends together with all the other health indicators related to the pediatric age-group and advice accordingly.
- Convene / attend integrated departmental staff meetings.
- Ensure adequate flow of information for all supervisees with constant feedback as may be required.
- Carry out other relevant or requested duties as may be required.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
Deadline for receiving applications is 17th May, 2017
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply.
International allowances are not available for this position.
Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC leading the way from harm to home.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. Please contact Talent Acquisitions at IRC.Recruitment@rescue.org. As required by law, the IRC will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with a known disability.
Disclaimer: Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes. In the event that you receive any request for payment of any sort, please get in touch with us on Tel: +(254-020) 2727730, Email: IRCKenya@rescue.org or report to the nearest police.