KickStart International Inc.
Vacant Position: Shamba Maisha Trainer
Shamba Maisha is a 5 year research program implemented by KickStart International, RCTP-FACES, and University of California San Francisco (UCSF).
KickStart International is an organization that prides itself as an award-winning, global nonprofit social enterprise and that develops and markets low-cost irrigation solutions.
KickStart irrigation pumps are bought by thousands of small-holder farmers in developing countries and used to increase their income by up to a factor of ten, enabling them to lift themselves sustainably out of poverty.
(See www.KickStart.org for more information).
The Research Care and Training Program (RCTP) is a collaboration between Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), University of California and San Francisco (UCSF). RCTP leads the Family AIDS Care and Education Services (FACES) program, a comprehensive HIV prevention, care, and treatment program working in 83 clinics in Nyanza Province, Kenya.
KickStart International is seeking a motivated, proactive individual to fill the following vacancy for Shamba Maisha, an agricultural research program for food security and HIV health outcomes.
Shamba Maisha will give FACES patients the ability to improve their household nutrition and income through agriculture.
With improved irrigation and vegetable production skills, households can produce more vegetables at home and sell the surplus.
We believe that when patients have these resources alongside normal clinic services, they will be in better health and have stronger adherence to HIV treatment.
Function: Programs and Partnerships
Location: Roving Locations within Nyanza
Type of Contract: Short term contract
Job Purpose: The Shamba Maisha trainer will carry out an irrigated home garden extension program with 12 farmer groups in 4 locations within Nyanza Province.
The trainer will work with farmer groups to ensure they understand the theory and practice of vegetable production in order to improve participants’ health and nutrition and provide income for their families.
Scope of Role:
Reports to: Director, Field Innovations
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Works with: Regional Sales and Partnership Manager -Western, RCTP-FACES Study Coordinator, UCSF staff, Equity Bank loan officer, Smallholder farmers and other Partners.
Nature and Scope:
To train, evaluate and follow up the farmers throughout the project period in the designated sites.
Key Areas of Accountability:
1. Implement Shamba Maisha trainings
- Clearly communicate training schedule to farmers
- Select sites for trainings and field demonstrations
- Prepare training materials and execute trainings
Training Topics for Shamba Maisha Smallholder Farmers:
- Vegetable production, including nursery bed preparation, planting, nutrient management, irrigation, soil and water conservation, pest and disease management, and harvesting
- Set-up, operation, use and maintenance of KickStart’s Moneymaker pumps and accessory irrigation products
- Agribusiness and marketing skills
- Nutritional value of vegetables as part of the diet
2. Report Writing
- Write reports on training progress, challenges faced, and possible solutions
- Collect and write-up case studies from trained farmers showing progress over the period
- Collect farmers’ views on the training process to include in reports.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum: Diploma in Agriculture / Horticulture / Agronomy
- Two to three (2-3) years relevant hands-on experience training smallholder farmers
- Excellent knowledge of all aspects of agronomy from land preparation, planting material selection, nutrient management, pest control, irrigation, post-harvest care, and marketing of irrigated horticultural crops
- Excellent training and communication skills
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary partners
- Proven “self-starter” who is flexible, engaging, and adaptable with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Knowledge in IPM is an added advantage
Skills and Behaviour
- Ability to speak fluent English, Swahili and Dholuo is required
- Excellent ability to articulate complicated material to adult learners
- Good report writing and written communication skills
- Strong analytical abilities and detail oriented
- Ability and desire to work in Nyanza
- Understanding of the Nyanza region will be an added advantage
- Clean driving license with Motor Cycle riding experience
How to Apply
If you feel you are the right candidate for this job, please send your CV and Cover letter to email@example.com quoting the position title on the subject line by COB 26th May,2017