WHO WE ARE: M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of “pay-as-you-go” energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 400,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use instalment plan.
Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage “credits” for Ksh 50, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting. After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments.
This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company’s proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPANET.
As of November, 2016 M-KOPA employs over 1000 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of over 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognised for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA has also successfully tested a range of new products that leverage its relationship with customers, and M-KOPA’s unique competencies in mobile telecommunications and ICT.
To ensure that the research and development of new products add value to (and do not distract from) its core business, M-KOPA is establishing the M-KOPA Labs.
The Labs will be a dedicated business unit within M-KOPA that will define and test extensions of the M-KOPA asset-based credit model for off-grid-power to new products and services.
M-KOPA is seeking:
Position Title: Senior System Engineer
Reporting to: Head of Platform Operations
OVERALL PURPOSE: M-KOPA is looking for an Senior System Engineer who will be responsible for carryng out project work to completion, escalations from Global Service Desk and managing Azure infrastructure.
This in turn will require the successful candidate to interact with different departments in order to understand fully the business flow and co-ordinate to complete projects.
- Installing, configuring, testing and maintaining operating systems , application software and system management tools.
- Responsible for network and application security.
- Ensuring the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
- Managing and monitoring all installed systems and infrastructure.
- Resolve server or application related support issues.
- Maintain security, backup and redundancy strategies.
- Provide 2nd and 3rd level support.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- At least 4 years’ working experience in a similar role
- Demonstrated Windows Server skills (IIS, Containers, PowerShell, Service Fabric, Fallover clusters, Load balancing)
- Demonstrate capabilities in managing and administering Iaas, Paas and Saas.
- Demonstrate SQL Server Database administrative skills.
- Sound cloud experience, preferably in Microsoft Azure.
- Team leadership skills; assigning tasks o junior engineers as well as following on tasks to completion.
- Ability to self-manage projects as well as prioritizing them.
- Experience with automation software e.g. Puppet, Cfengine, Chef and Octopus.
- Ability to asses, plan and build on capacity.
- Demonstrate Window Server Administration skills.
- Experience in monitoring systems.
- Solid understanding of network protocols and services.
- Experience in dealing with server security issues.
- Review all backups and periodically check the validity of the same by running trial restorations on test servers.
- Scripting in Windows environment using PowerShell.
- Training and documentation of all systems.
- Provide technical support working with the Global Service Desk.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
REMUNERATION: Competitive covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
- Flexible during times of change.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and operational skill sets.
- Adept at conducting research into project-related issues and products – strong analytics skills.
- Must be able to learn, understand, and apply new technologies.
- Strong Customer service skills and focus required.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial.
- Tenacious, driven, energetic and a high degree of professional integrity.
To apply, please logon HERE. Click on the “click to apply” button adjacent to this job and follow the application instructions. It is advised to complete all the required fields as requested as well as any assessments stipulated as a requirement.
M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff.
Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.
Due to the large number of applications received by us, we regret that you will not be contacted unless you are short listed for the post and invited for an interview. Therefore, if you have not heard from M-KOPA within 4 weeks of the date of the deadline your application, you should assume that you have not been successful on this occasion.
This measure has been taken in the interests of efficiency and cost effectiveness and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.