Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Coordinator
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Reporting to: Programme Manager
Key Relationships: Programme Manager, Project Manager and Coordinators, Finance and Administration teams, Advocacy and Policy Coordinator, Somalia country Director, Organizational Development Unit (ODU) in London
Salary range: $30,336 – $34,000 gross per year
Description of Saferworld: Saferworld is an independent international organization working to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives.
We work with local people affected by conflict to improve their safety and sense of security, whilst conducting wider research and analysis into the drivers of conflict.
We use this evidence and learning to improve local, national and international policies and practices that can help build lasting peace.
Partnership is a defining value for Saferworld. We contribute to long-term sustainable change by bringing together partners at the local, national and international levels.
We work with community groups, local civil society organisations, NGOs, academic, security and justice institutions, governments, private sector organisations, international and multilateral institutions and many others.
We believe that efforts to prevent violent conflict should always be based on the local context and local needs. We use the evidence and experience from our in-country programmes – and the expertise of our staff, partners and networks – to make recommendations.
Saferworld has been working in Africa since 1997, with a primary focus upon East Africa and the Horn region. We have well-established programmes in Kenya, Uganda, Somalia and South Sudan.
Description of Saferworld Somalia/land programme: Saferworld is an independent non-governmental organization that works to prevent and reduce violent conflict and promote cooperative approaches to security.
We work with civil society, governments and international organisations to encourage and support effective policies and practices through advocacy, research and policy development, and through supporting the development of local capacities and structures.
Saferworld has been working in Africa since 1997, with a primary focus upon East Africa and the Horn region. We have well-established programmes in Kenya, Uganda, Somalia, Sudan, and South Sudan.
In addition, Saferworld supports regional and international conflict prevention and security processes. The Somalia programme is managed from Saferworld’s Nairobi office with a field office in Hargeisa and a representative in Mogadishu.
Saferworld’s Strategy 2014-2017 for Somalia/land has two core components.
- Supporting the development of a democratic culture including the oversight of free and fair elections
- Supporting the provision of community-based security and justice and related policy reform.
Job Purpose: In order to improve our understanding of the impact our projects have, and how we can make them
more effective, we are looking for an experienced Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Coordinator to support Saferworld’s programmes in Somalia.
The Coordinator will be responsible for refining and maintaining the M&E systems of the country programmes, ensuring they are implemented effectively by key stakeholders.
This needs to be supported by actively engaging in data collection and building M&E capacity of Saferworld and partner staff, including on more participatory approaches to M&E.
1: Contribute significantly to refining the MEL system for the Somalia programmes
Make a significant contribution to the refinement of the programmes’ MEL Framework, systems and tools to ensure programme and it’s projects are being monitored and evaluated effectively, efficiently and in line with Saferworld’s MEL approach, national strategies and donor requirements
- Ensure that beneficiaries’ and partners’ views and needs are met by making MEL system more participatory and accessible
- Guide the process of identifying best ways to record, report and analyse MEL information, comparing it to project targets, in close collaboration and consultation with the programme teams
- Contribute to strengthening and developing procedures to improve the programmes’ internal learning, and sharing with partners, other stakeholders, and across the organization
- In collaboration with Saferworld staff and other stakeholders, put in place the framework and procedures for the monitoring and evaluation of projects
2. Lead on the implementation of monitoring and evaluation
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation systems and tools, data collection, entry, cleaning and storage are appropriately implemented by Saferworld staff and partners
- Lead on development and implementation of baseline studies, assessments and internal evaluations
- Contribute to developing TORs for MEL surveys, mid-term and final project evaluations
- Coordinate external evaluations
- Conduct periodic field visits and ensure the documentation of field visit results
- Lead in quarterly reviews and bi-annual outcome harvesting with programme team and implementing partners to ensure changes are captured, shared with partners and other stakeholders, and across the organization, and contribute to adaptive and flexible programme implementation
- Contribute to external donor and project reporting requirements, as well as internal organizational reporting requirements, including quarterly reporting, bi-annual programme reporting and outcome monitoring
3. Lead in integrating learning in the programme
- Work closely with the Learning Manager to implement MEL systems, document, assess, share and replicate: Lessons Learned, Promising Practices, and Best Practices
- Ensure lessons learned in each project are identified and highlighted to enable learning to take place in other projects.
- Lead implementation of project learning plan in collaboration with local partners, Saferworld staff and partners
- Ensure lessons learned at all levels of implementation are documented, disseminated, applied at field level, and verified for successful application according to the programme learning plan.
- Support the projects/programme research agenda by facilitating external researchers
4: Capacity building of Saferworld staff and partners on MEL-related issues
- Organise and undertake training with stakeholders, including Saferworld staff and partners, in MEL skills, including participatory approaches to MEL
5: Ensure effective record keeping, data gathering, information sharing and communication
- Ensure high quality and timely preparation of M&E data for reports to donors, partners, and Saferworld
- Guide staff and implementing partners in preparing and analysing progress reports
Terms & Conditions
- Location: Mogadishu. Although the position maybe based in Hargeisa initially whilst Mogadishu office is established.
- Salary: $30,336 – $34,000 gross per year
- Probation: There will be a probationary period of three months
- Leave entitlement: 28 days annual leave in addition to relevant public holidays
- Hours: Standard working week is 37.5 hours, Sunday to Thursday. Due to the nature of the position additional hours can be expected
Please state, MELCS in the cover line.
Deadline for applications: 18th May 2017
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted