Save the Children
Vacancy: Blanket Supplementary Feeding (BSFP) Supervisor
Code: SCIM BSFP SUP 2017
Team / Programme: Emergency Response
Type of Contract: National
Contingent up on funding
Child Safeguarding: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Role Purpose: Under the general supervision of the Blanket Supplementary Feeding Coordinator the Blanket supplementary feeding supervisor will be responsible for the day to day management of the blanket supplementary feeding programme at select field sites in Turkana North and Kibish sub counties.
The BSFP supervisor will work closely with MOH and WFP to ensure the successful implementation of the project.
Dimension: Save the Children has supported children in Kenya since before its Independence in 1963 and has had a consistent operational presence in the country since 1984.
We provide support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered both directly and through local partners.
Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, Health, HIV/AIDS, Livelihoods, Nutrition and WASH.
Save the Children has an operational presence in Dadaab Refugee Camp, Garissa, Mandera, Meru and Wajir with plans to expand into Bungoma and Turkana in 2014.
We work through partners in many other parts of the country. Currently, we have a staff complement of approximately 260 staff and a confirmed budget of approximately US$18 million this year.
Staff directly reporting to this post: registrars, crowd controllers, distributors, loaders, verification staff and community health volunteers.
Key Areas of Accountability:
- In coordination with the BSFP Coordinator, ensure the proper implementation of the blanket supplementary feeding programme in accordance with donor agreements including:
o Community mobilization and sensitization on the BSFP
o Identification of programme beneficiaries
o MUAC screening of all children under five years and pregnant and lactating mothers
o Routine De-worming and Vitamin A supplementation to all children under-five on admission to the programme
o Ensure proper follow up of cohort of children enrolled in the impact evaluation study
- In coordination with Save the children nutrition teams and with logistics, communicate the distribution schedule for the BSFP to all communities
- Ensure proper recording and tallying of all beneficiaries reached at every distribution
- Ensure smooth implementation of the BSFP in all the distribution sites including mobilization for crowd control.
- Supervise the BSFP team to ensure goals and objectives of the programme are being met
- Ensure timely data collection and reporting including producing weekly and monthly reports
- In coordination with the BSFP Coordinator ensure documentation of lessons learnt thought implementation of the BSFP
- Work with all programme teams to ensure that information relating to Save the Children and our activities is shared widely within communities in which we are working and provide for their participation and feedback in line with relevant guidelines and frameworks.
- Coordinate BSFP implementation with the Save the Children nutrition teams, MOH, WFP and its lead agencies.
- Actively participate in meetings to regularly review programme implementation and performance
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma in Nutrition sciences, Public health or Food security
- Good teamwork and management skills
- Demonstrated ability to live and work in a multi-cultural environment
- Computer skills, including statistical software packages
- Excellent report writing abilities
- Experience in Blanket supplementary feeding programmes
How to Apply
The application process is now open and will close on 29th May 2017
To apply for these positions visit the SCI Kenya Website: https://kenya.savethechildren.net/jobs
The system allows CVs & Cover letter as One(1) document.
Please indicate the position Code on the subject line.
The positions are subject to funding and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents.