Save the Children
Job Title: Emergency Water and Sanitation Assistant
Team / Programme: Program Operations
Post Type: National
Child Safeguarding: Level 1 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Role Purpose: To ensure the quantitative and qualitative supply of water, the smooth running of the hydraulic and sanitation installations, and the sanitation of the different facilities supported by Save the children within the framework of its activities.
Dimensions: Save the Children has been operational in Kenya since the 1950s, providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered both directly and through local partners.
Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, health, HIV/AIDS, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH.
In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined the programmes of SC UK, SC Canada and SC Finland to create a single operation in Kenya.
In Feb 2014, we completed a second transition, which saw us join forces with the British INGO, Merlin, and merge their health and nutrition programmes with our own.
Save the Children now has an operational presence in Bungoma, Dadaab Refugee Camp, Garissa, Mandera, Turkana and Wajir and we work through partners in many other parts of the country.
In 2016, Save the Children established a new project office in Madagascar whose operations are managed by the Kenya CO.
In total, we employ around 250 staff in both countries and had an operating annual budget in 2016 of approximately US$17.5million
Reports to: Emergency Response WASH Officer
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Plans and organises the supply and treatment of water in dispensaries supported by Save the Children following current protocols
- Draws up planning for repairing according to the needs
- Ensures the proper follow up of water treatments instructions
- Monitors the consumption of water and reactive agents
- Checks the good maintenance of the supply material for all facilities supported by Save the children
- Plans the material maintenance with the Wash Officer
- Is the technical reference person for all water supply
- Plans and organises the installation of toilets in all facilities supported by Save the Children
- Ensures a proper monitoring of the maintenance and hygiene of these toilets
- Plans and organises the construction of drainage systems and treatment of used water
- Organises and trains on the maintenance of drainage systems and the treatment of used water
- Plans and organises the waste management per facility and/or department
- Participates in any emergency activity or exploratory visit in or out of the Save The Children area of work, being prepared to intervene directly
- Ensures that inventories of all material and equipment used exist and are updated.
- Delivering Results: Takes personal responsibility and holds others to account to deliver our ambitious goals for children, continually improving own performance or that of the team/organisation.
- Developing Self and Others: Invests time and energy to actively develop self and others to help realise their full potential, and to build the organisation’s capability for the future.
- Leading and Inspiring Others: Demonstrates leadership in all our work, role models our values and articulates a compelling vision to inspire others to achieve goals for our children.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making: Takes effective, considered and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information from within or outside the organisation and making appropriate judgements.
- Applying Technical Expertise: Applies the required technical and professional expertise to the highest standards, promotes and shares best practices within and outside the organisation.
- Innovating and Adapting: Develops and implements innovative solutions to adapt and succeed in an ever – changing, uncertain work and global environment.
- Working Effectively with others: Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives. Knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross- boundary working.
- Communicating with Impact: Communicates clearly and confidently with others to engage and Influence, Promotes dialogue and ensures timely and appropriate messages, building confidence and trust with others.
- Networking: Builds and uses sustainable relationships and networks to support the work of Save the Children.
Additional job responsibilities: The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Equal Opportunities: The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Child Safeguarding: We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety: The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
How to Apply
Applications (resume and cover letter as one document) should be sent to email@example.com before 6th May 2017 at 4pm.
Applicants are advised to clearly state the tittle of the position they are applying for in the subject line of their email.
Note that all applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.