The Youth Agenda (YAA)
Call for Expression of Interest for Consultancy to Assess Compliance of Political Parties Nomination Rules, IEBC Regulations and Party Primary Processes in Promotion of Young Women Participation
The Youth Agenda (YAA) is a premier youth organization that works towards a ‘Just, Equitable and Progressive society in which young people fully enjoy social, economic and political rights and opportunities’.
Through the support of UN Women, the Youth Agenda is implementing a project on Evidence Gathering and Promotion of Young Women Participation in the 2017 Electoral Process that seeks to ensure the involvement, participation and representation of the young Kenyan women constituency in the upcoming general elections by providing information on the status of youth women and elections and promoting value driven youth leadership at all levels.
Youth Agenda invites proposals from reputable organisations and individuals to assess and produce a status report on the compliance of political parties to their constitution, nomination rules and IEBC regulations and secondly participation of young women in political party nomination process including generation of political party nomination list.
2.0 SCOPE OF WORK
The main objective of the consultancy is to determine the extent to which political parties promote young women participation and their compliance with affirmative action requirements as per their constitution, nomination rules and IEBC regulations.
This assessment will collect quantitative/qualitative data and will look to assess the following issues:
On Legal Compliance
- Nomination fees of sampled political parties and whether the same do hinder the level of participation of youth in political parties primary.
- Level of compliance with legislative instruements i.e the Constitution,Political Parties Act and Elections act and regulations from IEBC. Have the political parties sampled adhered to the law in crafting the nomination rules
- Ascertain that Affirmative Action Clauses have been incorporated into the nomination rules to safeguard the place of young women.
On the nomination process
- The number of young women young women aspirants and candidates
- The number of young women in Political Party Leadership
On political party nomination lists
- Young women listed in the political party nomination list.
- Whether the zebra principle was applied during the preparation of the political party lists.
The consultant is thus expected to undertake the following tasks:
- Develop an inception report, detailing the methodology and work plan schedule to carry out the assignment;
- Develop a checklist/ questionnaire that shall be the basic tool in collecting data
- Collate, analyze, synthesis and compile the information generated through the assessment and shall submit a draft report;
- Conduct the final editorial work on the contents of the assessment reports and shall submit a final assessment report by the end of agreed contractual period.
4.0 EXPECTED OUTPUTS
The consultant shall be required to submit:
- Inception Report detailing methodology, tools, work plan and budget;
- Data collection tools – the checklist/ questionnaire ( qualitative data collection); and
- Draft and final Assessment Reports.