International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Job Vacancy: Client Responsiveness and Accountability Senior Officer
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
Background: The International Rescue Committee (IRC), one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries.
The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
Since 1992, the IRC has provided life-saving services to refugees and vulnerable local communities in Kenya.
Currently, the IRC works in two refugee camps, Dadaab and Kakuma, in northern Kenya, and serves vulnerable local populations in the Turkana region and Nairobi.
In Kenya, the IRC implements programs in the areas of integrated primary health care (including nutrition and HIV/AIDS); economic recovery and livelihoods; protection of rights; and women’s protection and empowerment.
In its focus on economic recovery and development, the IRC in Kenya is addressing two outcomes: people generate income and assets and women and girls are equal to men and boys in the extent to which their basic needs are met, they are food secure, and they use, generate and control income and assets.
IRC is focused on encouraging the ability to become self-sufficient, particularly where livelihoods are concerned for survivors of SGBV, youth, refugees preparing for repatriation, and other key marginalized or minority groups.
IRC supports skills development and training in a variety of areas that gives both refugee and host community beneficiaries the economic and livelihoods skills that will potentially help them avoid negative coping strategies during time of crisis or environmental/economic hardship.
Because economic empowerment of women and girls is a key component of ensuring gender equality, IRC will focus on economic empowerment programs that foster gender equity and equality especially given that women and girls are even more vulnerable in situations of crisis and where marginalization happens.
The ideal candidate will have 3-4 years of demonstrated experience in interacting with clients, managing group discussions, data management and analysis and establishment of community working groups.
Scope of Work: The Client Responsiveness Senior Officer will be responsible for setting up and managing client feedback channels which are relevant to clients and to the BILLY team.
These may include design and administration of surveys, focus group discussions and reactive feedback mechanisms, and will include the establishment and relationship management of a Stakeholder Reference Group which will comprise clients, business leaders and other members of the community in which BILLY works.
The Client Responsiveness Senior Officer will be responsible for aggregating client feedback, identifying key themes and challenges or opportunities to respond to, and presenting these to the BILLY management team for a decision on how to respond.
The Client Responsiveness Senior Officer will also be responsible for recording and monitoring progress against a response action plan, and for closing the loop with clients to discuss the decisions taken and to receive and respond to additional feedback and questions.
Program Planning and Implementation
- Identify and design a combination of feedback channels which are appropriate to client and to the BILLY project, adhering to the standards in the IRC’s Client Responsive Programming Framework;
- Administer and manage the feedback channels: this may include conducting surveys and facilitating focus group discussions, running meetings with communities or establishing a hotline etc.;
- Manage and oversee the quality of the work of other staff members or research assistants when administering feedback channels on behalf of the project;
- Facilitate access and provide support and input to specialist external consultancy firms running surveys and dialogues with clients;
- Provide support, advice and training, where applicable, to BILLY colleagues on client responsiveness and management of feedback mechanisms;
- Establish and manage an approach to capture the feedback which staff hear from clients through their routine interactions, as well as their colleagues’ ideas on how to respond to the feedback;
- Provide feedback on the use and recommend areas for improvement on the Client Responsive Programming Framework.
Establishment and relationship management of the Stakeholder Reference Group:
- Lead the process of identifying suitable individuals to be represented on the Stakeholder Reference Group, in close coordination with BILLY colleagues; under the supervision of the ERD Coordinator
- Ensure the establishment of the Stakeholder Reference Group including its Terms of references;
- Manage member relations of the Stakeholder Reference Group and organize meetings where the Stakeholder Reference Group will provide feedback and input on key project decisions.
Program Monitoring and Reporting
- Establishing a system for managing the client feedback, in close coordination with the IRC Kenya Data and M&E Officer, Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator and project staff, utilizing existing data platforms and surveys were possible;
- Aggregate and disaggregate client feedback (according to gender, age, social background and other client appropriate disaggregation) and analyze key themes, challenges and opportunities which suggest the need for course correction;
- Present feedback in clear formats to highlight feedback trends to BILLY project management, as well as synthesize qualitative feedback in ways which provide the detail that the BILLY project team will need to design an appropriate response;
- Keep a record of how client feedback has been responded to through information collection and data analysis.
- Close the loop with clients to acknowledge their feedback and inform them about what we’ve done in response to their to feedback,
- Develop and maintain a positive relationship with clients and community members and representatives, establishing a direct line of communication between them and the BILLY team. This may include attending community meetings and project activities, meeting bilaterally with community leaders and so forth.
Human Resource Management
- The Client Responsiveness and Accountability senior officer will not have any direct reports
- Maintain open and professional relations withother team members while promoting strong team spirit
Coordination and Representation
- Under the direction of the ERD Coordinator, the Client Responsiveness and Accountability senior officer will liaise with the Protection team for support on areas of Client Responsiveness and establishment of feedback channels
- Establish and coordinate the activities of the client reference group while managing member relations
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field required (e.g. International Relations, Development, Anthropology, Sociology); Masters preferred
- Extensive experience of designing and managing feedback mechanisms (including surveys, focus group discussions, hotlines, suggestions boxes, open hours etc.);
- Good knowledge of industry best practice in the design and use of feedback mechanisms
- Understanding of the core principles of Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP) and Protection Mainstreaming;
- Experience of designing and managing feedback / data management systems
- Experience of analyzing and presenting data in a way that facilitates effective decision making
- Ability to develop relationships with clients and community members, acting as a community liaison focal point
- Driven, self-directed and the ability to manage multiple competing demands and commitments, and to work flexibly in a team
- Creativity, curiosity and enthusiasm, and the ability to develop and test new ways of working and solutions to problems
- Strong oral and written communications skills in English and Kiswahili.
- Experience of working with and a strong understanding of community structures in Nairobi, particularly within informal settlements and areas in which refugees reside.
- Work experience in the humanitarian sector
- Experience of providing capacity building, training and advice to colleagues on feedback mechanisms
- Experience of managing and reporting on resource accountability
Work Environment: The position will be based in Nairobi at the Livelihood Resource Centre 1 in Pangani with near daily travel to the field within Nairobi.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply.
International allowances are not available for this position.
Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
Disclaimer: Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes. In the event that you receive any request for payment of any sort, please get in touch with us on Tel: +(254-020) 2727730, Email: IRCKenya@rescue.org or report to the nearest police.
Apply on or before 23rd June, 2017.
IRC leading the way from harm to home.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. Please contact Talent Acquisitions at IRC.Recruitment@rescue.org. As required by law, the IRC will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with a known disability.