FH Kenya a Christian relief and development agency seeks to fill the following vacant position:
Post Title: Project Coordinator, Emergency OFDA Program
Department: Wash, Nutrition and Livelihood
Reports to: Marsabit Lowlands Cluster Manager
Contract Duration: One year
Applications closing date: 27th July 2017
Mission Statement: Motivated by Christ’s love, this position plays a key role in promoting the wholistic ministry of Food for the Hungry (FH) through the framework of the organization’s vision, “God called and we responded until
physical and spiritual hungers ended worldwide.” In order to accomplish this vision, FH’s mission is to “walk with churches leaders and families in overcoming all forms of human poverty by living in healthy relationship with God and His creation.”
Position in the Organization: The Project Coordinator reports hierarchically to the Cluster Manager – Marsabit Lowlands Cluster. The Project Coordinator will manage the start-up and delivery of a one-year emergency project with strong focus in WASH interventions as well as livelihoods and nutrition sector interventions.
The coordinator will ensure alignment of the emergency interventions with ongoing FH Kenya CFCT interventions under the guidance of the Cluster Manager –Lowlands and with support (if need be) from Program Director and Country Director and the WASH/Nutrition Technical Advisors.
Additionally the Coordinator will be expected to through the County Steering Group (CSG) coordinate the program with other humanitarian agencies within Marsabit County to promote emergency response best practices.
Purpose of the Job: To coordinate and provide leadership for a one-year USAID/OFDA funded emergency project. This will entail (but not limited to) effective program planning, implementation, some degree of technical backstopping, monitoring & evaluation and timely reporting.
The job holder will also ensure capacity building of project staff where required, quality control and donor compliance.
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities
Key result 1. Management of USAID/OFDA emergency project ensuring timely execution of activities and within
- Lead in the development of program management tools for effective planning, implementation, monitoring,
evaluation and reporting
- Foster integration of the emergency project with FH strategic plan and CFCT program approach in order to
provide synergy, complimentary and greater impact and avoid duplication
- Provide training and awareness for project staff on USAID-OFDA policies and contract conditions as stipulated in the grant agreement.
- Conduct periodic review of project implementation progress over the period of the grant and make adjustments as required
Key result 2. Project and financial management
- Facilitate the procurement process of project items in line with budget allocations
- Review all project related requests for support and provides an appropriate response, including, where
relevant, forwarding such requests to the Lowlands Cluster Manager, Program Director or Country Director for
- Take lead in development of monthly work plans, utilization of monitoring tools and internal and external
- In consultation with the Cluster Manager and FH Finance staff, monitor the project expenditure to achieve
planned expenditure rates and proactively make projections in order to have sufficient organizational cash-
- Provide technical support, in WASH. This will include, but not limited to, WASH feasibility assessments,
costing and design of WASH infrastructure, and supervision of construction works under the guidance of the
WASH Technical Advisor
- Liaise with the FH Kenya Livelihoods and Nutrition technical advisors to ensure quality implementation of
each of the sector activities
- Mentor and advise project staff on (management, finance, logistics, and human resource) in order to ensure
good practice and quality implementation and compliance with donor requirements. In particular, financial and
Key result 3. Collaboration, Communication, Networking
- Undertake regular participatory monitoring visits to each of the project sites to ensure adequate progress
and quality against action plans and objectives.
- Participate in Cluster Program Management Meetings to give updates on project updates as well as identify
avenues for integration and alignment
- Participate in Marsabit county coordination forums with government and other agencies. This includes, the
County Steering Group, Nutrition, WASH and Livelihood technical working groups among others
- Ensure excellent coordination of donor visits to project sites and provide briefing sheets of project progress
- In coordination with Cluster Managers and Program Director, ensure proper branding of project
infrastructure and facilitate the documentation and dissemination of success stories
- Represent FH as and when requested by the Cluster Manager and technical leads at sub-county and county
- Vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Strong team player and have ability to manage and lead a team in emergency setting
- Experience in proposal writing, excellent report writing, interpersonal and communications skills
- Knowledgeable in computer packages e.g., MS-Word, Excel, etc.
- Ability to build and manage strong relationships with partners, County Government other stakeholders
- Experience in grant management and USAID/OFDA contractual policies, rules and regulations
- Experience in setting up systems for program management and strong in analytical skills
- Preferably with a strong background in WASH programming.
- Conversant with Core Humanitarian Standards, and the principles of Accountability, Protection and Advocacy
Education and Experience
- Bsc. Qualification in either Civil, Bio-Systems, Water & Environment or Agricultural Engineering.
- Holder of Bachelors or Master degree in project management or any other relevant field of expertise needed for the assigned program(s) or its equivalent certification from a reputable training institution.
- Experience working in drought emergency, post emergency situations especially in ASAL areas
- A minimum of 5-7 years’ experience working in a similar position in an NGO, technical consultancies or
development partner setting.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications (clearly indicating their current or expected salary), updated CV with three referees, day telephone contacts to:
Human Resource Manager
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
latest by 27th July 2017.
NB: This is an urgent position and shortlisting will be done as applications are received.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.