African Prisons Project (APP)
Job Title: Administration and HR Manager Kenya
Reporting to: Country Director (Kenya)
Location: Nairobi Kenya.
Job Type: 12 month, renewable contract
Background: The African Prisons Project (APP) is a group of people passionately committed to improving access to health, Life skills, justice and rehabilitation for prisoners in Africa.
We aim to restore the dignity of those we serve by helping to provide humane conditions and services which help them to regain their dignity.
We build and refurbish prison medical and educational facilities to provide innovative services and work to change the attitudes of the societies we serve when it comes to criminal justice issues.
Our mission is to bring dignity and hope to men, women and children in prisons through Health, Life Skills, Access to Justice and Leadership, working with African Prison services to make prisons places of positive transformation.
African Prisons Project was founded on Christian ethos and values which include; integrity, team work, professionalism, respect, commitment, Openness and reliability.
We are committed to serving all prisoners and prison staff regardless of their religion, background, offence, sentence, race or gender.
We believe every person’s life is fundamentally valuable—their past need not define their future.
We work with Prison Service leaders who wish to develop services and policies in line with our mission and welcome our support.
We pursue these changes in a two pronged approach. Firstly, by focusing on rising stars and senior management of the prison services, providing them with the skills needed to reform and improve prison systems.
Secondly, by providing scholarships and training to prisoners and prisons staff pursuing legal degrees or diplomas through distance learning programmes, to support them act as educators and legal advisers to prisoners and to then take this knowledge of the law to the poorest communities upon release.
The Admin and HR Manager will support the team in Kenya team with all aspects of Administration and HR from Office organisation and support, staff recruitment and planning, implementing, evaluating employee relations and human resources policies, programmes and practices.
The incumbent will also write job descriptions, supporting references and contract conclusion.
We also have a number of overseas volunteers/interns and the role will also be to support this process including assessing the candidates, ensuring their documentation is correct and completing monitoring and reporting.
As an employee of African Prisons Project, you will be expected to follow the organisation’s financial procedures.
- Oversee the APP Office running and order
- Oversee all housekeeping and office assistant staff
- Liaison for all visitors to the APP office
- Support to the APP team
- Booking of flights, accommodation, conferencing
- Support to Country Director on HR and admin issues
- Collate and maintain all staff documentation
- Have oversight of staff leave records and time away
- Support on staff relation and escalate issues to the Country Director as appropriate
- Support in Recruitment
- Identifying and ensuring there is appropriate support and training for staff/volunteers & interns
- Presenting and managing the induction for all new staff/volunteers & interns
- Manage the performance management system
- Manage disciplinary procedure and grievances procedure
- Support in the M&E of programmes in consultation with Programme leads
Any other duties that may be assigned.
We are looking for:
- A person who is passionate about justice for the poorest in society, who wants to make a difference and who would like to partner with APP on the cause.
- A flexible person who is willing to respond to HR matters at a strategic level and simultaneously respond to administration duties effectively and willingly.
- A well spoken individual who is not shy but is humble and can represent APP at different forums. A person who can meet our donors, visitors and volunteers and be able to sell the APP vision passionately and eloquently.
- A well knowledgeable person on HR law who knows where to consult in order to get the latest developments on the law.
- A person who has began a career in Administration and HR and wants to make strides to the next level. This assignment requires building systems and manuals and has much opportunity for creativity and innovation.
- A creative and dynamic individual who can bring ideas of how to build the APP team and brand and enable us to become more efficient.
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Social Sciences, or other related academic discipline,
- Minimum 3 years relevant human resources management experience in a corporate or INGO environment;
- Member of IHRM
- Excellent planning, coordination, and reporting skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities;
- Strong communication, people management and interpersonal skills in English, with experience in working with international staff.
Salary Range: Kshs 100,000 – 150,000
APP Values: APP works by Christian values of integrity, hard work, selflessness and diligence.
How to Apply
Kindly apply by Friday 11th August 5pm.
Kindly send your CV and application letter to email@example.com
As this is an urgent recruitment shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis.