The Aga Khan Education Service, Kenya (AKESK) is a non-profit service company, registered under the Companies Act. It operates 11 schools in Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu and Eldoret and provides nursery to senior secondary education in both the national and international curricula.
It is part of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), a group of private development agencies working to improve living conditions and opportunities for people of all faiths and origins in specific regions of the developing world.
AKESK is looking to hire the following position based in Nairobi:
Position: Principal for the Aga Khan Academy – Nairobi
Position Summary: The Principal will be responsible for the overall academic and financial performance of the Aga Khan Academy, Nairobi, which comprises the Nursery, Junior and Senior Schools.
S/he will take a leadership role in strengthening the quality of teaching and learning, bringing efficiencies to the management of the schools and raising the profile of the Academy as a whole school.
This is a vitally important role with genuine transformational potential.
- Articulate and deliver a clear educational vision that embodies the values of AKESK, including academic excellence, a service ethos, and intercultural understanding.
- Lead development of long-term and short-term school plans and quality indicators to establish positive standing and positioning of the school as one of the leading schools in East Africa.
- Guide implementation of school plans, monitor progress and report to management on quality indicators, student learning outcomes and anticipated future issues.
- Develop annual budgets for schools,monitor variance and report on financial performance on a periodic basis.
- Develop and embed appropriate management structures and policies for the Academy.
- Guide and monitor delivery of curricula and co-curricular programmes for the schools, ensuring quality delivery in all grade levels, timely completion of syllabus, meeting of targets in external examinations, development and implementation of corrective action plans as required.
- In collaboration with AKES, EA academic leadership, develop and implement appropriate systems to meet and maintain authorization requirements for the IBO, CIE and CIS.
- Lead and supervise heads of schools, including their performance appraisal, professional development planning and mentoring.
- Drive recruitment and professional development of senior faculty and staff of the school and build a high-performing school management team.
- Support development and implementation of effective marketing strategies and admission policies to recruit students with diverse cultural, social and economic backgrounds.
- Ensure that physical infrastructure and facilities in the school are conducive to effective teaching and learning and reflect the quality of AKES image.
- Support smooth transition of students from Nursery to Junior to Senior school, and establish links with higher education establishments to ensure continuity of education.
- Create and maintain successful partnership with parents and the wider community to support and improve pupils’ achievement and promote the image of the Academy.
- At least ten years’ experience in international curriculum schools, including experience in the International Baccalaureate system and at least five years in school leadership roles.
- Excellent understanding of, and experience in, curriculum management, design, implementation and evaluation.
- Understanding of 21st century education practices, strategies for raising students’ achievement and effective frameworks for school improvement planning and self-evaluation.
- Proven ability to develop effective management structures, and to build, lead and develop teams.
- Ability to establish and sustain strong relationships with parents, students, teaching, non-teaching staff, alumni and other stakeholders.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- An understanding of financial planning, preparing and monitoring budgets.
- Passionate about delivering high quality services to children and their families.
- Experience in the developing world and in Africa will be highly desirable.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Master of Education degree.
- Post Graduate Training in Educational Institution Management.
- Qualifications in IB Primary Years (PYP), Middle Years (MYP) & DP Programs Teaching.
- Over 5 years’ experience in a senior supervisory position in an educational institution.
- Proven consistency in class work performance.
How to Apply
Applications should include a 300 word statement that demonstrates suitability in the role and best practices together with a detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of relevant certificates, testimonials and names of three professional referees, emailed by 18th August 2017 to:
The Human Resources Manager,
Aga Khan Education Service Kenya,
P.0 Box 41440 00100
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted