Aga Khan Foundation (East Africa)
Employment Opportunity: Regional Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL), Manager
A re you inspired to truly contribute to improving the quality of life of communities in East Africa?
Are you someone who takes calculated risks, innovates and embraces change?
Are you eager to apply your skills and knowledge to complex problems?
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) works in collaboration with partners to develop and promote innovative solutions that contribute to improving the quality of life in East Africa. Focusing on the Swahili Coast of Kenya and Tanzania, as well as Central and Northern Uganda.
AKF responds to local and regional priorities by developing effective programming, measuring and documenting results, and sharing its lessons with governments, donors, and development actors to influence policy and practice.
The Foundation is now looking for a dynamic specialist to lead the MERL unit.
This unit will support other offices in the region on MERL functions in education, economic inclusion, agriculture and food security, early childhood development, health and civil society strengthening as well as to grow the Foundation’s research and learning agenda to better inform quality programming across these sectors.
The position will be based in Nairobi and will be reporting to the Head of Programme Quality and Learning.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide leadership and support to strengthen MERL systems and capacities throughout the region
- Manage a team of MERL professionals. ensuring management oversight and top level performance, as well as
providing mentoring. guidance and support
- Lead a regional Community of Practice focused on sharing lessons
- Lead the design and implementation of baseline studies. quantitative and qualitative assessments, programmatic evaluations, surveys. and special research initiatives as assigned
- Develop new approaches to measure AKF’s achievement of strategic objectives that are context specific as required
- Support in the improvement of existing programs and in the design of new programs and projects by validating theories of change, logic frameworks and/or result frameworks and ensuring that robust and comprehensive MERL plans are in place and implemented for all programs and projects.
- Drive the regional research and learning agenda to generate evidence to inform program implementation and design, influence policy, and to foster an organizational culture of learning
- Improve data management and quality, including data collection in remote areas
- Improve data representation to enable integration and sharing lessons across borders
- Update and implement AKF (EA)’s MERL strategy in line with the new AKF programme framework and global
- Collaborate with colleagues in AKF’s global community of practice to share expertise and findings from key studies
Qualifications & Competencies Required
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field; Master’s degree preferred
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience work in the MERL field
- Demonstrated knowledge and capacity to design and implement quantitative and qualitative surveys and studies for the purpose of programme assessment
- Demonstrated ability to train, mentor and develop the capacity of others
- Ability to present complex ideas and processes in accessible ways, including visually
- Excellent verbal and written English language skills
- Ability to facilitate information sharing (especially in an on-line environment) across countries and offices
- Ability to work in team settings and in complex, multi-national, rapidly changing environments
How to Apply
Candidates interested in this unique career opportunity with AKF should submit a cover letter, CV and the names
and contact information of three professional referees by 18 August 2017 via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with
“Regional MERL Manager” in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Aga Khan Foundation is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org)