International Centre for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT)
Recruiting a Research Associate – Bean Value Chain
The International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) – a member of the CGIAR Consortium – develops technologies, innovative methods, and new knowledge that better enable farmers, especially smallholders, to make agriculture competitive and profitable as well as sustainable and resilient. CIAT conducts research for development in tropical regions of Latin America, Africa, and Asia.
CIAT’s Pan-African Bean Research Alliance (PABRA) is Africa’s largest network of bean experts spanning 31 countries.
Members of the network are responsible for breeding, evaluating, disseminating and safeguarding Africa’s largest collection of beans.
Position Summary: CIAT is seeking to recruit an experienced and enthusiastic Research Associate – Bean Value Chain in Arusha, Tanzania to work as a member of the bean seed systems and markets team within the Pan-African Bean Research Alliance-PABRA, contributing towards facilitating the scaling out of
quality seed of improved varieties and linking to output market in the bean corridor, developing tools and methodologies for value chain analyses and development, conducting consumer preference studies and other related market research work necessary to develop the value bean chains.
He/she will also provide support in designing and conducting bean product and related market studies and surveys, as well as the statistical analyses and preparation of reports in Africa.
Produce and share required scientific/nonscientific publications including projects reports and other
Duties & Responsibilities
- Design and support the implementation of market value chain research in Africa including bio-
fortified beans in Tanzania
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis of the bean market value chain data and
document the impact of market interventions on the smallholder farmers
- Strengthen the capacity of the national research partners, private sector and non-private sector
in value chain research, market linkages and other facilitation skills
- Prepare investment plans for private and public sector investments in bean value chains
including seed supply.
- Facilitate the establishment, support, monitor and strengthen the bean platforms in different
- Participate in the development and testing of sustainable market linkages and business models that enhance market access of smallholder farmers in collaboration with market value chain actors and other stakeholders
- Design and develop marketing and promotional strategies including working with health and nutritional centers to promote biofortified beans and materials for products promoted in different countries in collaboration with national partners
- Participate in periodic project planning activities and reporting
- Carry out other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Qualification and Experience
- A Master’s Degree in Agribusiness, Marketing, Agricultural Economics, marketing, Economics and
Management or related fields
- At least two (2) years of experience research and facilitating marketing activities with partners
- Experience in market surveys of different actors along the value chain.
- Experience in both quantitative and qualitative data analysis using statistical and Econometric
models and statistical and other software (Stata, SPSS, Ms Access, etc)
- Ability to write proposal for CIAT resource mobilization
- Ability to prepare research and project reports and manuals and other dissemination materials
for market work.
- Ability to facilitate and document learning processes with multiple stakeholders
- A good understanding of the problem of market access in Africa
Terms of employment: This is a Tanzania national position and will be for an initial period of One (1) Year, renewable subject to three (3) months’ probation, assessment of performance, and availability of resources.
CIAT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
How to apply:
Applicants are invited to visit http://ciat.cgiar.org/ciat-jobs to submit their applications for this position, clearly indicating position title as Research Associate – Bean Value Chain.
Applications closing date: 18th August, 2017
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.