Action Africa Help (AAH) | Uganda
Job Opening: HIV Counsellor, Uganda
Grade: AAHU 9
Reports to: HIV Focal Person
Staff reporting to this post: N/A
Technical Dotted-Line link to: N/A
Matrix manages: N/A
Liaises with: Community Welfare Structures, Health Sector staff (midwives, clinical officers, nurses, medical officers)
Duty Station: Hoima District, Kyangwali Refugee Settlement
Purpose of the role: To co-ordinate and provide counselling service in coordination with the medical staff
Duties & Responsibilities
- Plan and oversee the delivery of the counselling services to families, in a non-discriminatory manner.
- To provide a group counselling/psychotherapeutic service including post-natal depression groups.
- Establish follow up plans to ensure patients are fully supported to recovery
- To develop the counselling service in line with expressed need in consultation with the Medical Doctor and Area Manager
- Monitor and evaluate the service on a regular basis, providing update reports to the Supervisor
- Liaise with other projects to share practice and contribute to the development counselling services
- Conduct home visits to referred families affected and or living with HIV/AIDs where relevant.
- Liaise with a full range of relevant professionals in social work, health, education and voluntary agencies, in order to co-ordinate services for families and to raise awareness of counselling services
- Arrange regular monitoring sessions with community based social workers and village health teams.
- Carry out any other duties as required by the supervisor
- Counselling/psychotherapeutic services delivered
- Home visits to referred families conducted
- Follow up plans for patients on ARVs established
- Regular community awareness and monitoring sessions carried out
- A Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Counselling or a related qualification from a recognized institution
- Demonstrated knowledge of community participatory approaches
Minimum relevant experience required
- At least 3 years’ experience in similar or higher position with International NGOs.
- Three (3) years of progressively working in natural resources, environment and energy.
- Experience of working in projects in humanitarian and development settings
Additional Skills & Competences
- A good command of both written and spoken English with working knowledge of Kiswahili an added advantage
- A team player with excellent inter-personal and communication skills
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel, internet)
- Strong communication, including written and presentation skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to make accurate decisions.
- Patient, understanding and of a pleasant character
- Able to build and develop capacity of others
- Commitment to the organizational values
- Ability to ride motorcycle, with a valid rider permit
Contract Duration: 03 months (Renewable subject to availability of funds and positive appraisal)
How to apply:
Interested persons who meet the above criteria should submit their applications (together with an updated CV) with at least three suitable referees with their email and telephone contacts and address their application, by email only to;
Senior Human Resource & Administration Officer,
Action Africa Help Uganda;
Plot 72 Ntinda Road, P O Box 10501, Kampala, Uganda.
AT : email@example.com
Please indicate the role you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
A detailed Job Description of the role can be viewed at http://www.actionafricahelp.org/opportunities/jobs
Deadline for receiving applications is: 2 October 2017.