Action Africa Help (AAH) | Uganda
Job Opening: Natural Resources Officer, Uganda
Grade: AAHU 7
Reports to: Livelihoods Coordinator
Staff reporting to this post: Environment Educator,
Technical Dotted-Line link to: N/A
Matrix manages: Community Based Extension Workers
Liaises with: Programme Area Manager, Community Welfare Structures, District Focal persons, Project staff
Duty Station: Hoima District, Kyangwali Refugee Settlement
Purpose of the role: To support sustainable utilization of natural resources, shared environment and promote safe access to energy (fuel).
The incumbent will build resilience of the target communities’ in disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation and ecosystem management.
S/he will proactively promote appropriate smart climate (green) technologies and approaches in collaboration with private sector and development actors and determine how best to incorporate these approaches into AAH Uganda operations.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop strategies/activities for sound sustainable management of natural resources and ensure that they are effectively implemented on time and within budget.
- Provide technical support to ensure the integration of sound natural resource management considerations into the District Environment Action Plan and development plans;
- Work closely with the relevant agencies, institutions and individuals to promote environmental management for mitigating environmental damage.
- Plan to establish and maintain woodlots in the host community and refugee settlement. Promote restoration of the depleted forest cover through tree-planting at household levels.
- Provide technical assistance to refugees and host communities in energy saving stoves and use to reduce the amount of fuel (firewood) required for cooking e.g rocket Lorena stoves.
- Promote appropriate technologies and approaches to energy utilization, including fuels, renewable energy, stoves and lighting and powering technologies.
- Plan to implement activities on energy for cooking, lighting and powering, including renewable energy, with a view towards enhancing self-reliance, education and protection.
- Promote awareness-raising on energy issues through community campaigns on the benefits and use of clean energy for cooking and lighting to enhance adoption.
- Provide technical support to communities in development of community based disaster risk reduction plans and ensure that they are well implemented.
- Facilitate production of briquettes to conserve environment at household level; both domestic and commercial production in partnership with the private sector.
- Promote new smart climate (green) technologies and approaches as necessary with possibilities of scaling-up and replication.
- Promote sustainable exploitation of natural resources by the target communities.
- Develop plans for all activities under natural/energy/environment and ensure that they are effectively implemented within specified budget and time.
- Coordinate energy and environment interventions with different stakeholders including the local authorities, implementing partners and private sector.
- Conduct research studies on energy and environment for refugees/host community and establish effective coordination, monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Support the effort in resource mobilization for energy and environment-related activities with emphasis on non-traditional donors.
- Document and draw from good practices and lessons learned for dissemination in collaboration with Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning guidelines.
- Woodlots established and maintained in the host community and refugee settlement
- Restoration of the depleted forest cover promoted through household levels tree-planting.
- Technical assistance provided to refugees and host communities in energy saving solutions
- Research papers and success stories on energy and environment developed and disseminated
- Coordination, monitoring and evaluation systems on natural resource management established.
- Environment and Natural resource management good practices and lessons documented
- Timely and accurate Donor reports are prepared.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Environmental Sciences, Forestry, Agro-Forestry or other related fields from recognized University or Institution.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community participatory approaches and disaster risk reduction.
- Demonstrated knowledge of supporting a comprehensive approach to biodiversity, safe access to energy and/or climate change.
- Knowledge of the concepts, principles, techniques and practices of energy, environment and/or climate change.
Minimum relevant experience required
- Three (3) years of progressively working in natural resources, environment and energy with International NGOs or local government.
- Understanding of emerging sustainable and appropriate energy technologies and renewable energy
- Extensive experience of working in natural resources, environmental management, climate change, mitigation and adaptation
- Experience in coordinating of energy and environment-related projects in humanitarian and development settings
Additional Skills & Competences
- A team player with excellent inter-personal and communication skills
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel, internet)
- Strong communication, including written and presentation skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to make accurate decisions.
- Excellent analytical and coordinating skills
- A good command of both written and spoken English with working knowledge of Kiswahili an added advantage
- Patient, understanding and of a pleasant character
- Excellent Management skills
- Able to build and develop capacity of others
- Commitment to the organizational values
- Ability to ride motorcycle, with a valid rider permit
Contract Duration: 03 Months (Renewable subject to availability of funds and positive appraisal)
How to apply:
Interested persons who meet the above criteria should submit their applications (together with an updated CV) with at least three suitable referees with their email and telephone contacts and address their application, by email only to;
Senior Human Resource & Administration Officer,
Action Africa Help Uganda;
Plot 72 Ntinda Road, P O Box 10501, Kampala, Uganda.
AT : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate the role you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
A detailed Job Description of the role can be viewed at http://www.actionafricahelp.org/opportunities/jobs
Deadline for receiving the applications is: 2 October 2017.