Our client who is one of the prestigious hotels in Kitui County is seeking to fill the following position in their set up:
Job Summary: Direct the preparation, seasoning, and cooking of salads, soups, fish, meats, vegetables, desserts, or other foods.
May plan and price menu items, order supplies, and keep records and accounts. May participate in cooking.
Job Duties and Tasks for “Chef”
- Determine how food should be and garnished and presented / displayed.
- Determine production schedules and staff requirements necessary to ensure timely delivery of services.
- Estimate amounts and costs of required supplies, such as food and ingredients.
- Inspect supplies, equipment, and work areas to ensure conformance to established standards.
- Instruct cooks and other workers in the preparation, cooking, garnishing, and presentation of food.
- Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations.
- Order or requisition food and other supplies needed to ensure efficient operation.
- Analyze recipes to assign prices to menu items, based on food, labor, and overhead costs.
- Arrange for equipment purchases and repairs.
- Meet with customers to discuss menus for special occasions such as weddings, parties, and banquets.
- Meet with sales representatives in order to negotiate prices and order supplies.
- Prepare and cook foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
- Collaborate with other personnel to plan and develop recipes and menus, taking into account such factors as seasonal availability of ingredients and the likely number of customers.
- Check the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Check the quantity and quality of received products.
- Demonstrate new cooking techniques and equipment to staff.
- Record production and operational data on specified forms.
- Coordinate planning, budgeting, and purchasing for all the food operations within establishments such as clubs, hotels, or restaurant chains.
- Plan, direct, and supervise the food preparation and cooking activities of multiple kitchens.
Skills Needed for: “Chef”
- Coordination — Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
- Time Management — Managing one’s own time and the time of others.
- Management of Material Resources — Obtaining and seeing to the appropriate use of equipment, facilities, and materials needed to do certain work.
- Management of Personnel Resources — Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Instructing — Teaching others how to do something.
- Management of Financial Resources — Determining how money will be spent to get the work done, and accounting for these expenditures.
- Monitoring — Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operations Analysis — Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
- Equipment Selection — Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Judgment and Decision Making — Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Administration and Management– Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Personnel and Human Resources — Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
Experience & Education Required for: “Assistant Chef
- Higher Diploma in food production & culinary
- Back ground in food costing
- Ability to develop a menu, African cuisine
- 5 and above years experience in a busy Hotel
How to apply;
If you are up to the challenge and meet the minimum requirements, send cover letter and CV to the following e-mail addresses; firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com not later than 25th September, 2017