Who We Are: M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of “pay-as-you-go” energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 500,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use instalment plan.
Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage “credits” for Ksh 50, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting. After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments. This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company’s proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPANET.
As of January, 2016 M-KOPA employs over 1000 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of over 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognised for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA has also successfully tested a range of new products that leverage its relationship with customers, and M-KOPA’s unique competencies in mobile telecommunications and ICT.
To ensure that the research and development of new products add value to (and do not distract from) its core business, M-KOPA is establishing the M-KOPA Labs.
The Labs will be a dedicated business unit within M-KOPA that will define and test extensions of the M-KOPA asset-based credit model for off-grid-power to new products and services.
M-KOPA is seeking:
Position Title: Business Intelligence Manager
Position Start: As Soon As Possible
Reporting to: Head of Business Intelligence
Overall Purpose: The BI Manager will be responsible for running teams that provide the analysis, predictive analytics, and operational data for multiple key departments within M-KOPA. He/she will act as the primary point-person for senior, C-level stakeholders.
He/she will be responsible for ensuring operational needs are executed in a timely, high-quality manner, and will work closely with Business Partners to identify, design, and test data-driven hypotheses and evaluate success of pilots to enable data-driven decision making throughout the business.
- Work with Business Partners and Analysts to prioritize and design analytic work
- Drive key strategic initiatives with Business Partners and key stakeholders, from strategic design to operational implementation
- Act as the expert of domain-specific data, from back-end queries to down-stream analyses
- Develop a keen understanding of the business to identify key value drivers and root causes
- Proactively identify, design, and test data-driven hypotheses
- Build framework and tools for measuring pilots (e.g., A/B testing), evaluating success
- Ensure key operational data inputs are executed upon in a timely, high-quality manner
- Design and develop automation tools to streamline day-to-day processes
- Design and develop predictive models to enable planning and decision-making
- Lead a team (potentially multiple teams) of BI Analysts to deliver or analyses
- Train a team of analysts to further develop their analytic, communication, and business skills
- Communicate analysis with the broader business in a straight-forward, clear manner
- Train senior business stakeholders on analytic methods, data-driven decision making
- BS in Statistics, Data Mining, Computer Science, Economics, or related field
- Technical training in Data Science, Data Analytics, and Data Management preferred
Experience: 4+ years as a BI Data Analyst at a cutting-edge, global company; 1+ years as Manager in BI, Analytics, or related field
Knowledge / Skills:
- Experience managing technical teams of Data / BI Analysts at a cutting-edge, global company
- Ability to quickly understand key value drivers in various departments of the business
- Experience designing and developing A/B tests, predictive models, customer segmentations, and other analytics
- Strong visual communication and design skills
- Passion for teamwork and comfort delegating work and key responsibilities
- Passion for developing technical, communication, and data skills both within the team and to the broader business
- Ability to communicate technical details to broader stakeholders
- Advanced SQL, R, Excel required; DAX, Python a plus
- Meticulousness in ensuring error-free, high-quality analyses
- Keen business sense and comfort working hand-in-hand with senior executives
Remuneration: Competitive package covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
To apply, please LOGON HERE. Click on the “click to apply” button adjacent to this job and follow the application instructions. It is advised to complete all the required fields as requested as well as any assessments stipulated as a requirement.
Please Note: M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement.
This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.