Duma Works is recruiting a Technical Lead in Kampala, Uganda for Medic Mobile.
Medic Mobile builds mobile and web tools for health workers, helping them provide better care that reaches everyone.
Operating as a unique, nonprofit technology company, they develop free and open-source tools that can be adapted for specific uses, backed by evidence.
Health workers currently use Medic Mobile to register every pregnancy, immunize infants against illnesses, track disease outbreaks faster, keep stock of essential medicines, and communicate about emergencies.
Medic Mobile works with implementing partners to deploy projects that leverage mHealth to impact health from the community level upwards.
The Technical Lead will assist their partners in implementing Medic tools.
Are you passionate about global health and technology, working at the grassroots level, and collaborating with people from varied cultural, linguistic, and educational backgrounds?
We’d love to hear from you.
a) Manage Project Technical Configuration: Work independently and partner with project managers to write technical scope of work, support service design, configure and customize communication technologies and data visualization dashboards to meet Partners’ health programme requirements, create user manuals, deploy and train on technologies managing project timelines and monitor usage of the technologies.
b) Spearhead Analytics Platform Management for Africa: Maintain a growing library of dashboards and interactive data visualizations within the Medic Mobile Analytics platform. Train team members and partners to use Medic Mobile Analytics, and communicate best practices. Work with designers and project managers to ensure that dashboard designs are feasible and building upon past work. Be available to other teammates who may be building dashboards, to maintain best practices and quality. Manage project timelines, monitor usage of the platform, and track user licenses for invoicing purposes.
c) Support Product Development: Work with Medic Mobile’s designers to describe mHealth needs and opportunities in your region and to ensure these needs are addressed in Medic Mobile’s current tool kit or product roadmap.
d) Post Deployment Product Support: Support end users and stakeholders (internal and external) on any arising technology issues/bugs working alongside tech support team to resolve or escalate to other tech teams and follow up to resolution.
e) Support in proposal writing, publications, present Medic Mobile in meeting, seminar, summits & forums when called upon to do so.
Desired Education, Skill & Experience
The ideal candidate will:
- Have Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering or Mathematics and 5+ years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Have experience with relational databases, Postgres and MySQL
- Have experience in Scripting languages Appscript/Shell/Awk
- Have experience with data analysis and data visualization languages R/Matlab/Python
- Expertise in research to practice – identifying best practices and adapting them to program realities.
Personal work ethics (essential qualifications)
Candidates should have;
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to pass on information clearly to users and to grasp difficulties perceived by users.
- Be committed to frequent and timely communication, both in person and online (via email, Internet Relay Chat, and other online chat applications).
- Have interest in working with and learning from a globally distributed team of diverse cultural settings
- Be a strong problem solver with good logical diagnostic skills and ability to exercise good judgement in the resolution of problems
- Ability to multi-task in dealing with several different problems at a time.
- Strong customer service orientation that establishes a good working relationship with customers, with the attitude of wanting to assist people and pass-on their knowledge and experience to others.
- Ability to work under high pressure, meet deadlines, monitor and follow-up on pending matters under minimum supervision.
- Position Title: Technical Lead – Africa Region
- Employment Status: Full time, contract
- Language: Excellent spoken and written English
- Location: Kampala, Uganda
- Report to: Africa Senior Tech Lead
- Travel: 20%
Send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org marking the subject as “2951”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 2951 Barack Obama, +2567xxxxxxxx.
If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: Wednesday, 27 September 2017
N.B.* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we won’t be able to forward your application to the employer.