Job Vacancy: Emergency Child Protection Assistant
Reporting To: Child Protection Coordinator
Start Date: 13th October, 2017
Deadline to Apply: 6th October, 2017
About SAPCONE: Is a Kenyan based non-profit making indigenous organization with diverse development in Kenya and more so in ASAL and South Omo zone in Ethiopia.
Our head office is in Lodwar town in Turkana County with core mandate empowering marginalized communities for sustainable development
The main activities have revolved around; good governance and human rights, education and child protection initiatives and natural resource management.
SAPCONE involved in other community development interventions such as rain water harvesting and livelihoods Programmes that are labor intensive like road works and sanitation improvements in households, in and around Turkana County.
It also deals with civic education and promotes peace building and conflict mitigation, Emergency response, Conflict early warning and families’ re-unification as a result of cross border atrocities among other programmes and projects.
Role Purpose: To ensure the mainstreaming of child protection interventions in Turkana Emergency Response by SAPCONE.
S/he will support child protection assessment, monitoring and evaluation, and work with relevant stakeholders to promote quality implementation of child protection interventions as per child protection framework.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Key Areas of Accountability:
Implementation of Child protection Activities
- Plans, organises and implement child protection activities, supported by SAPCONE
- Support case management at the community level
- Support monitoring and evaluation of child protection activities in the community
- Ensure proper follow up of child protection related concerns and community feedback.
- Ensure identification of child protection gaps within the community.
- Ensure development quality reports on child protection activities.
- Support collaboration and partnerships with other child protection actors in the area.
- Ensure gender mainstreaming in all interventions, and inclusion and participation of children in their own protection.
- Support and ensure quality programs and capacity building of emergency response staff, government officials and stakeholders to: provide child protection, eliminate sexual abuse and gender based violence.
- Support development of child protection response plans and master budgets and contributed to SAPCONE overall response strategy.
- Support coordination of child protection actions and working groups in emergency response plan.
- Participates in any emergency activity or exploratory visit in or out of the SAPCONE area of work, being prepared to intervene directly
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling SAPCONE values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for SAPCONE, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Degree/Diploma in Development Studies, Community Development, Social Sciences, or any child development related field.
Experience and Skills
- 2 year work experience in child protection/ child right programming.
- Commitment to SAPCONE values.
- Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours in the event of major emergencies including travelling at short notice and for extended periods of
- Flexible and positive approach to working in a stressful and changing environment with limited resources,
- Strong written communication skills including proven experience in report writing
- Computer literate;
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Ability to networking: Builds and uses sustainable relationships and networks to support the work of SAPCONE.
- Knowledge of the local language is an added advantage
- Problem Solving and Decision Making ability: Takes effective, considered and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information from within or outside the organization and making appropriate judgements.
- Ability to deliver Results: Takes personal responsibility and holds others to account to deliver our ambitious goals for children, continually improving own performance or that of the team/organization.
- Ability to Work effectively with others: Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives. Knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross- boundary working.
Additional job responsibilities: The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Equal Opportunities: The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SAPCONE Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Child Safeguarding: We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children any form of abuse.
Health and Safety: The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SAPCONE Health and Safety policies and procedures.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are required to submit their CV and mandatory cover letter, certificates/testimonials as one document firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the position on the subject line by 6th October, 2017.
Hand delivery applications indicating the position can also be addressed to the HR Coordinator and dropped at the SAPCONE in Lodwar.
The Human Resource Coordinator,
P O Box 125, LODWAR 30500 Lodwar.
Note: Due to the urgency of the position, applications will be reviewed as and when they are received.
Only applications containing all the aforementioned documents will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.