Job Vacancy: Peace Building Coordinator
About SAPCONE: SAPCONE is a Kenyan based non-profit making indigenous organization with diverse development in Kenya and more so in ASAL and South Omo zone in Ethiopia.
Our head office is in Lodwar town in Turkana County with core mandate empowering marginalized communities for sustainable development
The main activities have revolved around; good governance and human rights, education and child protection initiatives and natural resource management.
SAPCONE involved in other community development interventions such as rain water harvesting and livelihoods Programmes that are labor intensive like road works and sanitation improvements in households in and around Turkana County.
It also deals with civic education and promotes peace building and conflict mitigation, Emergency response, Conflict early warning and families’ re-unification as a result of cross border atrocities among other programmes and projects.
Job Purpose: The Peace Coordinator is responsible for the implementation of peacebuilding activities within the Turkana county and South Omo zone.
The Officer assists in the preparation of work plans, budgets, and technical reports in collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator of the programme and directly oversees on-the-ground implementation activities.
The post holder will work with the Head of Programs to follow-up and, upon receiving information act in a timely and effective manner.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
1. Strategy and programme development
2. Project planning, implementation and management
3. Funding and financial management
4. Partner management
5. Networking, communication and advocacy
1: Strategic and Programme Development
- Assist in the development and implementation of SAPCONE Turkana peace building and reconciliation programme strategy
- Contribute to internal (within the team and across the organization) discussions on thematic issues particularly on peace, security and governance
- Contribute to further develop, and deepen understanding of, SAPCONE peacebuilding and governance thematic issues and approaches.
2: Programme Implementation
- Support planning, development and implementation of the peacebuilding and governance project
- Organize and facilitate dialogue meetings, workshops and forums with government representatives, civil society and communities in efforts to prevent violent conflict and promote cooperative approaches to peace, security and governance
- Support SAPCONE to mainstream cross-cutting issues, among them, gender and youth in their initiatives
- Support capacity development of partners involved in project implementation through innovative capacity building approaches
- Arrange for regular meetings with partners to review and reflect on progress and results in order to identify, mitigate challenges and learn lessons for improved programme delivery
- Support the M&E coordinator in assessing the extent to which partners’ initiatives are achieving the set results, writing and filing of reports
- Develop donor reports
- Participate in and contribute to quarterly and other scheduled programme performance review meetings
- Assist the Heads of programme in planning and implementing the peacebuilding and governance project
3: Funding and Financial Management
- Assist in identifying funding opportunities and fundraising
- With the programme team, perform organizational activities such as drafting project reports, developing programme budgets and cash flows and regularly monitoring expenditure
- Support preparation of monthly expenditure requests and account for project expenditure in line with SAPCONE financial procedures
4: Communications and Advocacy
- Contribute to documentation of ‘success stories’ and other information to demonstrate results/impact of initiatives undertaken by partners and enhance the overall quality of performance reports to all constituents
- Provide support in training and delivery of advocacy and peacebuilding for project partners and civil society organisations
- Contribute to the development of appropriate strategies for advocacy with partners.
- Identify and develop relationships with key strategic partners in government, civil society, media and the international community for promoting peace, good governance and conflict sensitivity in Turkana
- Represent SAPCONE at meetings, seminars, co-ordination forums and other events
- Excellent communication skills both in English and swahili
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to implement programmes and local partners to effectively meet programme needs
- Ability to work effectively with governmental and non – governmental organizations and local communities in carrying out programme objectives
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral and ability to relate sensitively to diverse groups
- Self – driven and able to deliver results with minimum supervision
- Good report – writing skills with excellent written and spoken English and swahili
- Ability to work in diverse situations
- Proficiency in Microsoft office and use of internet for research
Other: Willingness to travel to diverse locations in support of projects implementation and interact effectively with partners
How to Apply
Please submit your Updated C.V. and cover letter indicating the position on the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org handwritten application must be addressed to undersigned before close of business on 6th October, 2017.
The Human Resource Coordinator,
P O Box 125, Lodwar 30500 Lodwar.
Note: SAPCONE is an equal opportunity employer. Women are especially encouraged to apply.