Job title: Programme Officer – Governance & Policy
Department: Governance & Policy
Reports to: Head of Programmes
Duty Station: Lodwar
Summary: SAPCONE is a Kenyan based non-profit making indigenous organization with diverse development in Kenya and more so in ASAL and South Omo zone in Ethiopia.
Our head office is in Lodwar town in Turkana County with core mandate empowering marginalized communities for sustainable development,
The main activities have revolved around; good governance and human rights, education and child protection initiatives and natural resource management.
SAPCONE involved in other community development interventions such as rain water harvesting and livelihoods Programmes that are labor intensive like road works and sanitation improvements in households in and around Turkana County.
It also deals with civic education and promotes peace building and conflict mitigation, Emergency response, Conflict early warning and families’ re-unification as a result of cross border atrocities among other programmes and projects.
SAPCONE is seeking to recruit a Programme Officer in its Governance & Policy Department.
We invite applications from interested persons.
Duties and Responsibilities
To be considered you must meet the following minimum requirements:
Under guidance from the Head of Programmes, provide advice and technical support to governance and policy institutions in Turkana, donors and partner CBOs on strategy and policy implementation.
Provide technical support and advice in the monitoring of governance and policy strengthening programmes
2. Programme Management
a) Under supervision of the Programme Coordinator, assist in the management of donor and service contracts, including
- Monitoring of expenditures, ensuring that donor inputs are properly accounted for and arrangements for payment of recurrent and other expenditures are timely;
- Identifying and recommending consultants to carry out specific tasks related to the programme;
- Assisting in the preparation of Terms of Reference and Performance Contracts for selected consultants and the facilitation of institutional arrangements that aid the work of the consultants in the field;
- Under supervision of the programme coordinator , ensuring that contracts and grants design and implementation are in line with SAPCONE strategic plan, policies and procedures
b) Supporting the orderly operation of the programme, in line with established budgets including
- Providing technical support to project partners in the development of sound governance and policy initiatives, their design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Providing technical support to project partners in the development of national policies/legislation
- Providing assistance to ensure that technical documents of the programmes are fully reviewed and assessment reports prepared and discussed.
- Assisting in the preparation of programme implementation reports and schedules.
- Providing technical support to planning meetings related to the programmes.
- Coordinating administrative arrangements for technical and training meetings/workshops and other activities relating to the programmes and assisting with the timely preparation of reports
- Participating in and preparing reports of meetings and workshops
- Providing support in the maintenance of programme records and documentation
- Assisting in monitoring timelines and costs to ensure that activities are implemented in a timely and cost effective manner
- Developing links and sharing experiences with other stakeholders in order to promote the mainstreaming of transparency in their activities, policies and programmes.
3. Strategic Development
Providing input and support to the programme coordinator in the development and review of Governance and policy strategies including, but not limited to, the empowering Turkana community for self-governance and development and SAPCONE strategic interest in policy locally, nationally and internationally.
4. Coordination / External Relationships
Under the supervision of the Programme coordinator:
- Supporting the maintenance of constructive working relations with Kenya government, civil society, UN agencies, bilateral and multilateral donors
- Supporting the maintenance of collaborative relationships with partner organizations and the development of collaborative programme strategies
- Collaboration with relevant research and higher learning institutions
- Collaboration with the private sector in line with SAPCONE policies to support transparency and accountability
5. Good Practice and Institution Learning
- Providing technical support to the development of structured opportunities to facilitate internal and partner learning for decision-making and influencing practice
- Assisting in project monitoring, reviews and evaluations and the development of good practice guidelines
6. Resource Mobilisation / Budget management
- Assisting in the development of resourcing strategies that respond to programme and organizational objectives
- Assisting in the identification and securing of funding in accordance with budget targets
- Assisting in the development of project proposals and progress reports based on
established standards as required
- Tracking programme expenditure against budgets
- Assisting in donor research and advocacy
In collaboration with other programme members and under the supervision of the Head of Programmes , preparing and/or contributing to the provision of narrative and financial reporting to donors, governments, partners and internally.
- Bachelor degree in law
- At least 3 years relevant work experience with an emphasis on governance, legislative drafting ,access to justice and community engagement
- Experience in project design, implementation and management
How to Apply
Please submit your Updated C.V. and cover letter indicating the position on the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org handwritten application must be addressed to undersigned before close of business on 6th October, 2017.
The Human Resource Coordinator,
P O Box 125, Lodwar 30500 Lodwar.
Note: SAPCONE is an equal opportunity employer. Women are especially encouraged to apply.