The United States International University – Africa is the largest, private, secular university in East and Central Africa catering to over 6000 students representing 69 nationalities, and with a global network of over 11,000 alumni. It is also the only other university in Africa to receive local and American accreditation of degree programs.
In line with our commitment to providing quality, affordable education through world-class service delivery platforms, USIU-Africa is seeking to recruit suitable candidates for the following positions.
Manager – Fundraising
Reporting to the Director Advancement, the Fundraising Manager is charged with the responsibility of developing strategic and operational goals of the Fundraising department; ensuring effective implementation of the fundraising programs among corporate organizations, foundations and other strategic segments.
The Fundraising Manager will provide leadership and supervision to the Principal Fundraising Officer, Fundraising Officer, Advancement Services staff and volunteers in prospect research, database management, stewardship and donor recognition.
The Fundraising Manager will work closely with the Alumni Relations department, Partnerships and External Linkages department, Marketing and Communications department, deans of schools, departmental heads, student government, Finance division, ICT division and the other key functions of the University.
Development and Implementation of the Fundraising Strategy
- Conduct appropriate research and develop sufficient intelligence on the donor market
- Spearhead thought and planning for effective engagement with the prospective and current donors
- Engage key stakeholders in developing and acquiring approval of the overall university fundraising strategy
- Harness resources for effective implementation of the university fundraising strategy
Managing the Fundraising Team
- Set, monitor and support the team in achieving fundraising targets
- Create an enabling environment and culture for staff to manage their tasks
- Lead the team to plan, implement, monitor and report on their responsibilities
- Coach, mentor and train the fundraising team to deliver superior results
- Engage the team in seeking and running large gifts acquisition campaigns
Managing Fundraising Programs
- Ensure effective planning and implementation of fundraising programs
- Researching and approaching trusts, foundations, government agencies, development partners and other potential donors to support advancement of USIU-Africa
- Writing and presenting funding proposals, grant applications and donor-acceptable requests that will yield desired resources to support USIU-Africa development programs
- Managing the grant application process and ensure effective monitoring and reporting to meet donor requirements
- Monitor effectiveness of fundraising programs and make necessary adjustments to achieve desired results
- Developing relationships with major donors, identifying potential donors and nurturing strong long term relationships
- Develop, manage and report on fundraising budgets
- File periodic reports of fundraising team activities
Managing the Annual Campaign
- Employ cutting edge strategies to acquire donors and sponsors mainly through Face to Face, Phone marketing and online activities
- Develop relevant collateral and giving tools to support the acquisition activities
- Host events and other activities that will help acquire donors and partners for the annual campaign
- Work closely with Advancement staff to appreciate, recognize and build strong relations with donors
Development and Implementation of Innovative Fundraising Tactics
- Continually study market trends and donor preferences to develop creative, productive donor engagement strategies
- Market test ideas to ascertain productivity in building long lasting relations to donors
- Develop and manage bequest program, community fundraising program, corporate and philanthropic fundraising program, web acquisition program and all other foreseeable fundraising programs.
Minimum Educational Qualifications and Professional Experience
- A master’s degree in Business related studies, Communications or International Relations from an accredited university.
- Five years’ experience in fundraising, preferably in higher education settings
- Demonstrated management experience of at least three years in a multi-level and cross-cultural relations in an international environment.
Personal Attributes & Competencies
- Shown merit and ability as reflected in work performance and results.
- Confidentiality and Integrity;
- Proficiency In Computer Applications;
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills;
- Relationship Builder & Effective Negotiator;
- Good Communication Skills;
- Attention to Detail;
- Adaptability and Reliability
All other details such as key responsibilities, minimum educational and professional qualifications as well as desirable personal attributes and competencies can be found on our website at www.usiu.ac.ke/jobs.
Incumbents will be expected to continue upgrading their knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to keep abreast of regulation/policy changes and trends in higher education.
If you have the requisite qualifications and experience and want to work as a team member in a modern and progressive institution where you can make a difference, please apply.
Interested applicants must provide a cover letter and a current CV, certified copies of educational certificates and transcripts, names and addresses of three referees, current salary and benefits, telephone and e-mail contacts to the following address by Thursday, October 19, 2017.
Director of Administration,
United States International University – Africa
P.O. Box 14634-00800, Nairobi, Kenya
USIU-Africa is an equal opportunity employer.