United States International University-Africa, situated in Nairobi, Kenya is the most diverse university in East and Central Africa with more than 7000 students from 65 nations, and a global network of more than 16,000 alumni. Only USIU-Africa’s 23 degree programs have local and American accreditation in Sub-Saharan Africa..
In line with USIU – Africa’s commitment to providing quality, affordable education through world-class service delivery platforms, USIU-Africa is seeking to recruit a suitable candidate for the following position:
Hospitality and Catering Technician
Chandaria School of Business
Reporting to the Dean, Chandaria School of Business, the holder of this position will provide practical and administrative support for the teaching of Food Production, Advanced Food Production and Catering Management and related courses and also work as a member of a team providing a service which will ensure safe, effective and efficient use of training resources to support the Hotel and Restaurant Management program.
- To source for ingredients, materials/equipment for lessons in the training kitchen or restaurant, including the stocking of the stores with consumables.
- To assist lecturers and students during food production and catering lessons.
- To support Food Production faculty in preparation of ingredients and equipment for lessons.
- To support students carry out practical lessons by providing the necessary ingredients and equipment for lessons.
- To clear and ensure practical areas are emptied of stock after every lesson
- To ensure sinks, worktops and kitchen equipment are clean to the standards required by the faculty. Keep kitchen and restaurant stock rooms and equipment clean, tidy and in good order, including walk-in fridges and freezers.
- To keep daily temperature recordings of all refrigeration and report any malfunctions of the equipment.
- To ensure all training kitchen and restaurant equipment are in a serviceable condition. To be responsible for organizing the reporting, maintenance and repair of any training kitchen or restaurant equipment.
- Under the supervision of the Food Production and Catering lecturer / faculty, maintain stock levels by raising orders and receiving materials for practical lessons.
- Carry out administrative tasks for the training kitchen and restaurant, including filing, stocktaking and keeping proper records.
- To control and store safely all chemicals, flammables, and specialized solutions, ensuring current health and safety regulations are adhered to.
- To be responsible for the annual inventory check for the training kitchen and restaurant equipment.
- To undertake any other reasonable duties and responsibilities as may be required.
Minimum Educational Qualifications and Professional Experience
- A Certificate or Diploma in Kitchen Techniques from a recognized hospitality institution.
- A current First Aid Certificate
- Food Safety Handlers Certificate issued by the appropriate government agency
Personal Attributes & Competencies
- Shown merit and ability as reflected in work performance and results.
- Confidentiality and integrity;
- Proficiency in computer applications;
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills;
- Relationship builder & effective negotiator;
- Good communication skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Adaptability and reliability
All other details such as key responsibilities, minimum educational and professional qualifications as well as desirable personal attributes and competencies can be found on our website at www.usiu.ac.ke/jobs.
Incumbents will be expected to continue upgrading their knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to keep abreast of regulation/policy changes and trends in higher education.
If you have the requisite qualifications and experience and want to work as a team member in a modern and progressive institution where you can make a difference, please apply.
Interested applicants must provide a cover letter and a current CV, certified copies of educational certificates and transcripts, names and addresses of three referees, current salary and benefits, telephone and e-mail contacts to the following address by Thursday, October 19, 2017.
Director of Administration,
United States International University – Africa
P.O. Box 14634-00800, Nairobi, Kenya
USIU-Africa is an equal opportunity employer.