UN World Food Programme – Somalia
Vacancy Announcement No. 034/2017
Post Title: Driver
Contract type: Fixed Term
Post Grade: G-2
Duty Station: Hargeisa
Duration: 1 year (Initial)
Date of issue: 23rd October 2017
Closing Date: 5th November 2017
Organizational Background: The World Food Programme Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, emergency school feeding, nutrition and food assistance for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates only. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of Administration Assistant/Administration Officer and overall supervision of Head of Area Office, the incumbent will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Provide reliable driving services by using assigned transport means for the transport of authorized WFP staff members, officials, visitors, goods, documents, mail and other items as per UN safety and security rules and regulations;
- Meet official personnel at the airport and facilitate immigration and customs formalities as required;
- Responsible for day to day operation, cleanliness and maintenance of the assigned vehicle; checks oil, fuel, water, battery, brakes, tyres, etc. and performs minor repairs;
- Maintain a daily log of all journeys made recording mileage, date, passengers, odometer readings, fuel consumption, oil changes etc.;
- Safeguard vehicle security (door locks, security-locks) etc. Monitor the security and serviceability of WFP assets (communications equipment, antennas). Advise immediate supervisor of discrepant issues;
- Safeguard and account for a range of basic tools (spanners, flat and star screwdrivers, allen keys), flashlight, spare fuses, towlines, jumper cables, hand winch, tyre repair kits, tyre lever, coveralls, foot pump, shovel and other items required to maintain vehicle operations.
- Negotiate, liaise and coordinate with local authorities to facilitate vehicle movement in designated areas;
- Check means of transport for mechanical fitness and security of cargo;
- Identify any apparent problems during field missions/deliveries and report them to the supervisor;
- Follow established rules and regulations for field deliveries and/or in cases of an accident, and report immediately to the supervisor on any apparent problems;
- Perform basic office related tasks such as filing, photocopying and maintaining stores when required including delivery/collection of various items, mailing service and payment of office telephone and other bills to ensure administrative support to clients;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education: Completion of primary school education. Formal drivers training with a valid driver’s license.
Experience: Two or more years of work experience as a driver, preferably in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a demonstrated safe driving record. Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles, including vans, trucks and other kinds of motorised vehicles.
Language: Fluency in both written and spoken English and Somali is a requirement.
Knowledge: Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles, including vans and other kinds of motorised vehicles; Experience in defensive driving is desirable. Ability to assess vehicles for mechanical fitness and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications only according to the following procedures:
- All applications must include an accurately filled in Personal History Form (P11) available at the following link:
http://www.unon.org/docs/P11.doc and a cover letter to be sent by e-mail to HR-SOM@wfp.org
- Quote the Vacancy Announcement number, job title and location;
- Hand delivered applications will not be accepted;
- Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded;
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.