Aga Khan Foundation
Employment Opportunity: Project Manager, Youth Social and Economic Programing
Are you committed to supporting Kenya’s next generation of rural youth in Northern Kenya (Lamu, Garissa and
Do you have the innovation, drive and experience required to manage a sustainable economic and social development portfolio?
The Aga Khan Foundation (East Africa) is seeking a dynamic and qualified Project Manager to manage AKF’s expanding youth programming in Kenya.
The position will be based in Lamu and manage programming in Coast and the Arid and Semi-Arid Land (ASAL) region.
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) is a private, non-denominational, international development agency promoting
creative and effective solutions to selected problems that impede social and economic development in parts of
Africa and Asia.
In Kenya, AKF is managing a robust and expanding portfolio of multi-sectoral initiatives that improve the quality of life of Kenya people.
The Project Manager will be expected to take lead on planning, coordinating and overseeing youth programming in
Coast Lamu) region and the ASALs (Garissa and Mandera) counties.
AKF’s youth programming is implemented primarily by AKF East Africa, in partnership with other Civil Society Organizations and the Government of Kenya.
The Project Manager will oversee the implementation and reporting of the program, including overseeing progress,
timely implementation of activities, the provision of sub-grants and consulting contracts as needed, coordinating
with staff from AKF and the other implementing partners across the three counties on a daily basis.
S/he will collaborate with relevant government stakeholders.
Reporting to the Area Manager, the Project Manager will lead the liaison, coordination and collaboration with the key local stakeholders, particularly the county and sub-county governments.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in international development, business/entrepreneurship development or
- At least five years’ experience leading or coordinating youth programming in developing countries, preferably East Africa
- At least five years’ experience in managing large and complex livelihoods projects (preferably youth focused)
in developing countries. Experience in gender and vocational training will be an added advantage;
- Demonstrated capacity to write high quality reports for donor projects and analytical briefs;
- Strong familiarity with monitoring and evaluation methodologies and logical frameworks from European
- Exceptional written and verbal skills in English. Knowledge of Kiswahili will be an advantage;
- Superior analytical, organisational, interpersonal, negotiation and problem-solving skills;
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate a large team of staff, individual experts and partners;
- Experience of working at the Coast of Kenya and North Eastern, with the EC and other bilateral donors is
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, CV (not exceeding four pages) and the names and contact
information of three referees by 29th November 2017. addressed to the Regional Human Resource Manager,
Aga Khan Foundation (East Africa) by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention the title of the position and do not attach any document other than the CV and cover letter.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AKF is an equal opportunity employer
Aga Khan Foundation is an Agency of the Aga Khan Development Network