Olturoto Children’s Village (OCV)
Job Specification: Social Worker
Nanga is a registered Non-Government Organisation in Kenya, registered by the NGO Coordination Board under registration number OP. 218/051/2009/0259/5860 and which is exclusively funded by Kickstart Kids International Limited in Australia and Kickstart Kids International (UK) (Collectively referred to as “Kickstart”).
Nanga, in partnership with Kickstart, is focused on raising, mobilizing and disbursing funds and other resources for the promotion of the organizational objectives.
Nanga’s mission is “To work with impoverished communities in sustainable ways to kickstart the lives of orphans and vulnerable children. This is achieved through four pillars:-
Nanga values openness, transparency and equality in all its dealings with the local communities we serve and partners we work alongside.
Olturoto Children’s Village
Olturoto Children’s Village (OCV) is a TRANSITIONAL HOME for orphaned and vulnerable children which opened its doors on 26 June 2014 to eight girls. OCV’s model of care is based on providing quality family based care on a transitional basis.
The children are admitted into OCV for a period of approximately one year. During their stay at OCV, the children live in a three bedroomed house set up to run as a family with one adult taking care of a maximum of eight children per house.
The maximum capacity for the site will be 32 children housed in four different houses. Two of the 32 beds will be kept vacant for emergency cases. Our current capacity is 17 children.
As such, we are seeking to recruit an experienced Social worker to apply his/her professional skills under the guidance of the Programme Manager and provide social services and assistance to improve the social and psychological functioning of children and their families at OCV leading to successful reintegration.
Further details are as below.
- Degree in Social Work from a duly recognized university or related area with at least 3 years of relevant experience working in a Charitable Children’s Institution(CCI)
- Diploma in Social work with over 5 years of relevant experience working in a Charitable Children’s Institution(CCI)
- Relevant as above experience working directly with vulnerable children.
- Experience of preparing children and families for reunification and supporting them as they transition into reintegration
- Development and implementation of Child Protection and case management processes
Skills / Abilities / Knowledge
- Deep knowledge of the Children’s Act and other related legislation in Kenya
- Ability to work with children, families and communities from all backgrounds and to be empathetic
- A wide understanding of the issues surrounding vulnerable children
- Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines
- Pro-active in developing new opportunities and an excellent networker
- Computer literate and proficient at using email as a primary method of communication
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and fluency in Kiswahili and English
- Ability to present progress reports and updates to the management team
CLICK HERE for a detailed job description