Rise & Learn
Raise your Leadership Lid
Job Vacancy: Project Manager / Deputy Chief of Party
Our client, an international foundation working in the field of sustainable agriculture within developing and emerging markets for rural communities, has an opening for the position of Project Manager & Deputy Chief of Party.
Reporting to the Chief of Party, the position will be based in Nairobi and will involve occasional travel to various countries in SSA.
The position will consist of overseeing the project reporting to USAID and the projects Steering group.
This is a full-time position on a 3-year contract.
Job Function: The Project Manager / Deputy Chief of Party will be responsible for coordinating program and operational activities, fostering compliance with USAID rules and procedures, and facilitating donor reporting.
The role will additionally support proposal development and will lead program teams in key areas of project design, such as: project assessments, project design workshops, budget development, and proposal writing, as well as identify and develop new funding sources.
Main roles and responsibilities
- Oversee overall execution of project activities in the absence of the Chief of Party
- Coordinate planned activities according to proposal plan and funding protocol
- Monitor and carry out the day-to-day reporting related to the project, including formal reporting to USAID
- Ensure the alliance is compliant to USAID guidelines regarding contracting, financial disbursements, sub-grants, procurement and to report any noted deviations for quick correction
- Track reporting guidelines and advise on rules and regulations for ongoing activities
- Provide accurate and timely donor reports, with inputs from partners and program staff
- Ensure progress of work through monitoring progress against set targets, establishing and ensuring regular maintenance and updates to the M&E systems on relevant activities and impact
- Compile necessary data for the purpose of reporting to USAID
- Communicate regularly with project team members, sub-awardees and contractors
- Ensure USAID compliance ¡n budget tracking and procurement of goods of services, including insurance services
- Manage activity budgets and project data bases, as well as process relevant financial transactions, and review budget / expenditure with Chief of Party to ensure all documents are up to date
- Any other duties as assigned by the Chief of Party
Educational and Professional qualifications
- Bachelor Degree in agricultural studies or development field with over 8 years of work experience OR Master’s Degree ¡n development field with continuous work experience of no less than 3 years ¡n similar field
- Strong report-writing and communication skills, including critical thinking
- Fluent in English (would be considered advantageous)
- Experience working in smallholder agriculture sector in Africa and development organizations
- Experience ¡n managing several USAID grants
- Experience in developing and managing diverse partnerships
- Experience in project management and accounting
- Ability to work in a virtual team, often at great distances
Additional advantageous qualifications
- Previous involvement in attending/organizing international workshops on the seed sector.
- Experience or knowledge of:
– Crop trialing and data analysis/reporting
– Seeds systems and value chains (production systems)
– Seeds regulatory work
How to Apply
All interested applicants are encouraged to submit their application letter and CV to email@example.com on or before December 15, 2017.
The application should include a cover letter, current remuneration and contact information for three work-related referees.
For more information visit https://riseandlearn.org/vacancies/