Shining Hope for Communities (SHOFCO)
Job Title: Clinic Social Worker
Section: Member/ Client Services
Location / Work station: Kibera/Mathare/Mukuru/Bangladesh
Working Hours: Monday – Friday | 8.00 AM – 4.00PM, 2 Saturdays a month
Reports to: Clinic Manager or Satellite Clinic Coordinator
Direct reports: N/A
Job Purpose: To be responsible in using knowledge and understanding of the reciprocal influences of home, and community to intervene
for client’s success via such practices as assessment, crisis intervention and response, home visits, conflict resolution, individual and group counselling, consultation, program development, and coordination of home and community services.
Key Responsibilities and Job Dimensions
- Organise outreaches in the community.
- Provide mental health screenings and initial assessments to clients.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the primary care providers to improve health outcomes.
- Coordinate external client referrals and follow up to ensure continuity of care.
- Provide crisis intervention, visit discharged patients and follow up on sensitive cases.
- Prepare socio-psychiatric history information, psychosocial assessment, and social work treatment plans for use in pre-admission screening and diagnosis.
- Develop long-term and short-term intervention plans consistent with the client’s needs, strengths, diversity and life experiences; and social and emotional factors.
- Use a variety of appropriate formal and informal tools and techniques including observations and interviews to evaluate the progress and performance of clients and families.
- Investigate child abuse or neglect cases and take authorized protective action where necessary.
- Refer patient, client, or family to community resources to assist in recovery from mental or physical illness and to provide access to services such as financial assistance, legal aid, housing, job placement or education.
- Counsel clients and patients in individual and group sessions to help them overcome dependencies, recover from illness, and adjust to life.
- Organize support groups or counsel family members to assist them in understanding, dealing with, and supporting the client or patient.
- Counsel new and old CCC clients, co-ordination partner testing and family testing, defaulter tracing and follow up of missed appointments.
- Follow up of PMTCT clients, HIV exposed babies and ensuring of adherence to treatment.
- Support HIV testing services to include linkage, support clients to disclosure to relevant family members, follow up and post-test counsel support.
- Maintain accurate and timely client records of activities, case management notes and prepare verbal and written reports related to the clients.
- Participate in mobilizing resources and networking in the community, maintaining positive working relationships with the community stakeholders.
- Participate in workshops, meetings and conferences related with areas of responsibility.
Job Competencies (Knowledge, Experience and Attributes / Skills).
- Diploma in sociology, social work, psychology, mental health or an equivalent.
Other required qualifications (unique/job specific)
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience working as a social worker, preferably in an informal urban settlement
- Ability to establish and maintain the confidence and cooperation of others.
- Ability to foster and maintain positive public relations with the community.
- Experience in the following areas: Psychosocial assessment, Individual therapy, Group therapy, Individual and group counselling, Short-term, evidence based counselling, Crisis Intervention, working in a clinic setting
- Be comfortable working with families in informal settlements
- Examining information
- Checking things
- Making decisions
- Valuing people
- Interacting with people
- Establishing rapport
- Empowering individuals
- Thinking positively
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send their applications together with a detailed CV to the HR Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org quoting their current and expected salaries.
Applications without this information will not be considered.
DO NOT ATTACH TESTIMONIALS at this point.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted on a rolling basis.
Applications should reach us no later than 11th December 2017.