Job Description: Finance Director
The African Centre for Technology Studies (ACTS) is a pioneering development research think tank on harnessing applications of science, technology and innovation policies for sustainable development in Africa.
ACTS is an Intergovernmental organization founded in 1988 to pursue policy-oriented research towards strengthening the capacity of African countries and institutions to harness science and technology for sustainable development.
ACTS envisions a sustainable economic, social and environmental future for Africa, through science, technology and innovation.
ACTS is currently recruiting for the position of Finance Director (FD).
The FD is responsible for the financial and administrative aspects of the Centre, reporting to the Executive Director, with an ex-officio post on the Executive Committee of the Governing Council.
The FD’s main responsibilities are to: be accountable for the financial probity and financial security of the Centre; deliver operational and strategic reporting regarding the Centre’s finances; ensure the Centre has adequate levels of income and that its resources are suitably matched to such income; manage an administrative team within the Centre to deliver operational excellence within an organization with typical annual spend of US$ 3-10 million.
Key responsibilities include:
- Overall leadership of the finance and administrative activities at ACTS, setting the policies and procedures to ensure proper and effective financial management.
- Develop and implement an overall funding strategy for the Centre that delivers short and long term financial security and lead resource mobilization efforts that grow and diversify the Center’s funding.
- Overall responsibility for ensuring ACTS income is sufficient for its needs in both the short and long term and that operational costs are aligned with the income.
- Deliver fast and accurate reporting throughout the ACTS organization and ensure that financial processes are well defined, appropriate and adhered to across the Centre.
- Be responsible for the financial probity of the Centre and ensure a culture of zero tolerance for corrupt or illicit practices is maintained throughout the organization.
- Establish and nurture close links with partner/donor organizations and support the ED in contractual discussions regarding both existing and new programs of work.
- Build and promote the Center’s reputation amongst donors and customers and develop a strategy for financial endowment to provide the Centre with long-term financial stability.
- Support the ED to ensure sustained progress towards achieving ACTS purpose and mission.
- Represent the ACTS Secretariat as an ex-officio member in its dealings with the Executive Committee of the Governing Council on financial and administrative matters.
- Represent the ACTS Secretariat by invitation in its dealings with the Governing Council (alongside the Executive Director) on financial and administrative matters.
Please visit the ACTS Website: http://www.acts-net.org for further information.