Job Description: Programme Director
The African Centre for Technology Studies (ACTS) is a pioneering development research think tank on harnessing applications of science, technology and innovation policies for sustainable development in Africa.
ACTS is an Intergovernmental organization founded in 1988 to pursue policy-oriented research towards strengthening the capacity of African countries and institutions to harness science and technology for sustainable development.
ACTS envisions a sustainable economic, social and environmental future for Africa, through science, technology and innovation.
ACTS is currently recruiting for the position of Programme Director (PD).
The (PD) is responsible for leading and shaping the programmatic work of ACTS, reporting to the Executive Director, with an ex-officio post on the Executive Committee of the Governing Council.
In collaboration with the Senior Researchers, the PD supports the development, and oversees implementation of a portfolio of research programmes and projects in line with the ACTS Strategy.
The PD has: a broad knowledge of programme management principles; has a strategic mindset; is able to develop and lead expert teams and individuals in a collaborative way; and is delivery oriented.
The PD ensures every programme is delivered successfully and timely, and adds the highest possible value to the organization.
The PD is keen on operational details and has experience in managing research programmes. Past research emphasis in Science, Technology and Innovation policy is an added advantage.
Key responsibilities include:
- Oversee the coordination and administration of research operations including planning, organizing, staffing, leading, and controlling programme activities.
- Develop and implement tools and systems for effective programme management including planning, implementation, monitoring & evaluation and reporting.
- Nurture a culture of continuous development of individuals and teams to optimize internal capacity and competence of ACTS in the field of Science, Technology and Innovation policy research.
- In consultation with the Executive Director and Financial Director, develop and/or oversee a conducive policy framework for effective and efficient programme and research operations.
- Support the development and nurturing of strategic partnerships and relationships with governments as well as with national, regional, and international organizations and other key players to maximize opportunities, effectiveness and impact.
- Provide hands-on technical support in the design, reviews and implementation of a business development strategy for ACTS. The PD must be able to initiate new projects in collaboration with the research staff and in collaboration with the Executive Director.
- Provide technical support to the Executive Director in monitoring and analyzing trends relevant for continuous strategic alignment of the organization’s mission and programme goals with the external environment including the changing development priorities of countries and development agencies, while protecting the identity and brand of ACTS.
- Carry out continuous assessment and development of research capacity of ACTS through staff training and development, and by securing resources and expertise required to deliver on short and long term research objectives
- Develop and instill a sense of accountability among individuals and team members by modeling tight oversight of individual and organization performance standards
- Represent the ACTS Secretariat as an ex-officio member in its dealings with the Executive Committee of the Governing Council on programme matters.
- Represent ACTS Secretariat by invitation in its dealings with the Governing Council on programme matters.
Please visit the ACTS Website: http://www.acts-net.org for further information about ACTS.