AFEX, a Lonrho company, provides camp construction, catering, management and logistics support to the Oil and Gas, Mining, UN and NGO sectors, in some of the most remote corners of Africa.
With headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, AFEX provides international standard service delivery, combined with 30 years of regional operational experience.
The AFEX Team is dedicated to ensuring clients have peace of mind that their projects will run on schedule and to budget, with their personnel being cared for to a high international standard.
AFEX wishes to recruit a competent, innovative and self-driven person to fill the following position:
Summary: Competent Security Manager with excellent leadership skills required to direct the development, implementation and monitoring of effective security operations at AFEX River Camp, Juba, South Sudan.
Responsible for monitoring security operations, implementing security policies, regulations and rules, while ensuring that the environment within the organization is safe for employers, guests and visitors.
Able to implement and maintain an effective strategy to mitigate risk, maintain continuity of operations, and provide for the security of all AFEX employees and its clients, guests and visitors.
Responsible for establishing policies, procedures and standards security of staff members, field facilities, assets, and company activities, ensuring security protocols and mechanisms are in place to address country unique security challenges across East Africa. While advising senior managers on security compliance and performance.
Responsible for Implementing and maintaining emergency response plans and advising senior managers on security compliance and performance and to check and monitor the access control of vehicles, staff, visitors and guests.
The position is based in Juba, South Sudan. However, travel to AFEX Camps, facilities and other locations will be required. Therefore, this position may require some international travel.
- Reporting directly to the senior site manager.
- Primary focal point for security.
- To manage all areas of the security department.
- Responsible for delivering & communicating security policies.
- Monitors security conditions, liaise & coordinate with external agencies – private security contractors, UN, peacekeeping missions,
- NGO coordinating bodies, local governments, etc.
- Develop and implement security policies and procedures in accordance with best practice.
- Advise management on matters relating to employee and property security;
- Advising AFEX staff on security matters, including security officers.
- Provide security risk assessments.
- Crisis and contingency planning and other security-related functions.
- Ensure that each layer of security is audited and maintained.
- Oversee security budgets for security operations and monitor expenses.
- Encourage a positive security culture throughout AFEX.
- If required recruit, train and supervise security officers and guards.
- Attend meetings with other security managers to determine operational needs.
- Plan and coordinate security operations for specific events.
- Coordinate staff when responding to emergencies and alarms.
- Investigate all safety, security and risk management related issues.
- Review reports on incidents and security breaches.
- Investigate and resolve issues while reporting to senior site managers.
- Create reports for management on security status.
- Analyze data to form proposals for improvements (e.g. implementation of new technology)
Skills & Competencies;
- Proven experience as security manager or similar position.
- Being a high profile, visible and positive presence throughout AFEX.
- Able to identify key issues and prioritize.
- Experience using relevant technology and equipment (e.g. CCTV).
- Experience in audit and inspection process.
- Experience in reporting and emergency response planning.
- To work to solve problems in a constructive and positive manner.
- Excellent knowledge of security protocols and procedures.
- Solid understanding of budgeting and statistical data analysis
- Working knowledge of MS Office.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Outstanding organizational and leadership skills.
- Committed and reliable, leads by example.
- Able to provide and deliver training programs.
- Relevant degree in Security Administration, or; related area, or the ability to demonstrate a work-based equivalent.
- NGO security, military or law enforcement background.
- Strong knowledge of security management.
- At least 2 years doing a similar Job including 5 years of relevant experience.
- Some familiarity with UN, USAID and other agencies policies and procedures.
- Experience working in conflict and post-conflict settings.
- Experience with Private Security Companies and Contractors.
- Experience conducting training for small groups.
- Comprehensive knowledge of regional security issues. (e.g. Africa, Asia, Middle East, etc.).
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies and related security concerns and appropriate responses to such emergencies;
- Excellent communication skills for explaining complex security concerns, policies and procedures to senior management and employees.
- Written and spoken fluency in English required; second language a plus.
- Willingness to travel to post-conflict and high-risk environments as required.
Applicants meeting the above requirements should send their applications and a detailed Curriculum Vitae giving full details of their qualifications, experience and full contact address including day and evening telephone numbers, e-mail address and names and contact details of three referees by 2nd February 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org.