Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Position: Field Officer
Reporting To: Field Officer
Start Date: 19th February, 2018
Location: Meru and Embu
Duration: 1 Month
Deadline to Apply: 30th January, 2018
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is an international non-profit research organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
IPA works in partnership with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations in the fields of health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the Project: AFLASAFE(Integration of small holder farmers into modern value chains with food safety standards in Kenya) is a project that is being implemented through IPA.
The project is led by researchers from International Food Policy Institute (IFPRI based in the US) and Wagengen University in the Netherlands.
The main aim of the study is to evaluate the adoption of aflatoxin reducing technologies and their impact on the livelihoods of small-scale farmers in Meru, Tharaka Nithi and Embu Counties in Kenya.
About the Position: The Field Officer will work under the general supervision of the Senior Field Officer (and within the limits of Innovations for Poverty Action-Kenya policies and procedures) to provide data collection services for the Aflasafe project.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct interviews with respondents using SurveyCTO during the farmer group meetings
- Make sure the respondents understand the informed consent and get their consent before starting off with the interviews.
- Comply with survey ethics and code of conduct including confidentiality of the information received.
- Debrief with teammates after interviews
- Ensure that all survey materials especially the tablets are looked after properly
- Assist in organizing materials in readiness for field work
- Other tasks as assigned by management
- Prompt arrival at work
- Successfully working in a team and avoiding / minimizing conflicts with the rest of the team members
- Cooperation with other project partners from other organizations
- Participating in staff trainings and making efforts to improve one’s capacity
- Ensure data integrity is maintained at all times
Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in social sciences or diploma with 3 years consistent experience
- Excellent communication skills in English.
- Knowledge of the local language used in the study area will be an added advantage (Meru or Embu speakers).
- Experience conducting quantitative data collection, including experience in conducting surveys using SurveyCTO.
- Skills to interact with partners and farmers and to engage farmers in data collection
- Ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional, and multi-cultural environment.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Field Officer – ALFASAFE Project. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.