Office of the Special Envoy of the Secretary – General
For The Great Lakes Region
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
This position is open to Kenya nationals only and does not have international benefits
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply
Deadline for Applications: 11 January 2018
Date of Issuance: 05 January 2018
Functional Title: Driver (2 Positions)
Duration of Contract: One (1) Year Fixed Term
Vacancy Announcement Number: SESG-GL/COS/2018/002
Special Notice: These positions are funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. Appointment against these posts is on a local basis. The candidates are responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take-up the appointment.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the
deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the Contractors in order to be
eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: These positions are located in Office of the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General for the Great Lakes Region (O/SESG-GL) under the Chief of Staff.
The Drivers at this level will report to the Administrative Officer.
With limits of delegated authority, the light vehicle drivers at this level may be responsible for the following duties:
1. Senior Driver Functions
- Light Vehicle Drivers at GS-3 level works as a Senior driver and Team Leader to junior drivers at the G—2 level. S/he assigns tasks!
shifts to junior drivers.
- Light Vehicle Drivers at G-3 level, drive light vehicles to moderately heavy vehicles including passenger transportation vans,
cargo vans and transportation trucks.
- Light Vehicle Drivers at the G-3 level assist the workshop with the preparation of staff transportation vans, cargo vans and
trucks for field trips. S/he carries out activities such as changing wheels, cleaning air filters, and general checking to confirm the
mechanical soundness of the vehicle.
- Light Vehicle Drivers at the G-3 level, being Senior Drivers are usually assigned to work with VIP personnel.
2. Back-up Driver Functions
- S/he ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by driving office vehicles for the transportation of authorized
personnel, delivery and collection of mall, documents and other Items.
- Drives vehicles safely to transport authorised personnel and general cargo/goods and or specialized hazardous vehicles.
- Takes care of the day to day maintenance of the assigned vehicles, checks oil, water, battery, brakes, tires etc; performs minor
repairs and arranges for more technical repairs. Ensures that the vehicle Is clean.
- Follows required rules and regulations In cases where the vehicle Is involved ¡n an accident.
- Applies good judgement in the context of assignments given.
- Meets official personnel at the airport and facilitates Immigration and customs formalities as required. Deals effectively and
tactfully with officials and visitors.
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle and accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs.
- Ensures proper day- to- day maintenance of the assigned vehicle by carrying out repairs, making arrangements for major
repairs, changes oil In a timely manner, checking tires, brakes and tires.
- Ensures the vehicle Is kept clean and carries out minor repairs on the vehicle, making arrangements for more technical
3. Vehicle Administration Functions
- Provides inputs during preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents and supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map
of the city or! country, first aid kit and necessary spare parts.
- Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing, etc.
- Follows required rules and regulations In case the vehicle driven Is Involved in an accident.
- Liaises with other UN agencies i.e. UNON, UNSOM, UNSOS. etc., on joint transport assignments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Demonstrates use of initiative and makes appropriate linkages in work requirements and anticipates next steps.
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious
and efficient In meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal
concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges: remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to
implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and
expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group
decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint
responsibility for team shortcomings.
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and
assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and
allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Valid driver’s license
Experience: A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible work experience in provision of driving services. Should be
an experienced driver with a safe driving record with hands on experience in driving a variety of makes and models
of vehicles-heavy and light passenger vehicles.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English (both
oral and written) is required. Knowledge of other United Nations language ¡s an advantage.
The P.11 is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs.