Program Description: The Research Care and Training Program (RCTP) is collaboration between the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) and University of Washington (UW).
RCTP leads the Family AIDS Care and Education Services (FACES) program, a comprehensive HIV prevention and Treatment.
We have the following vacancy in ECHO Study:
Position: Laboratory Technologist
Vacancy No. FN-008-01-2018
Reports to: Laboratory Manager
Duty Station: Kisumu
Duration: 1 year Renewable Contract as per KEMRI Scheme of Service. The first 3 months is a probation period
Position Summary: Planning and coordinating of laboratory functions, performs laboratory procedures, quality
control, and quality assurance measures as outlined in the Laboratory Procedure Manual. Tests patient specimens, correlates data, and reports results in a timely manner to affect quality patient care.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Accurate and timely performing of Study specific assays
- Ensuring custody of participant specimens and storage/archival
- Appropriate reporting of any abnormal lab result.
- Ensure maintenance and troubleshooting on all lab equipment and report to the supervisor
- Running and logging of specimen controls as per the set SOP.
- Ensuring Laboratory Waste segregation and management.
- Developing and updating laboratory inventory.
- Developing and continuous review of standard operating procedures in keeping with the protocol for the laboratory, and all lab related documents and manuals.
- Ensure compliance with all the SOPs and respective specimen flow charts
- Projection on consumables and reagents, and re-ordering whenever due and ensuring custody.
- Participate and pass all required proficiency testing
- Participate in timely enrollment of all EQAs required
- Participate in supervised sample shipment procedures
- Ensure that are IATA certified and compliant
- Updating and ensuring quality assurance of the lab specimen data base
- GCLP compliant
- Receive, download, and post/report all external lab results/reports
- Transcription of all lab results and communication of the same as per the lab results communication SOP
- QA/QC point persons at the lab level
- Degree or diploma in Medical Laboratory, biomedical laboratory or biochemical laboratory.
- Extensive and recent hands-on experience on running HIV-1, Pregnancy testing, CD4 count, PCR, HIV ELISA assays and medical sample shipment.
- Must have Good Clinical laboratory Practice training and/or CITI training.
- More than two (2) years Clinical research experience
- Extensive prior experience in family planning experience particularly IUD and implant insertions, and ability to follow protocol specific instructions in provision of various contraceptive methods.
- Knowledge of HIV prevention and treatment services
- Training and/or interest in contraception and reproductive health
- Previous Experience working in family planning/contraceptive administration
Other Required Skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Extensive organization skills
- Ability to work in a clinically busy, resource-challenged and demanding environment.
- Commitment to integrity and high quality performance
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
- Keen and attentive to detail
- Ability to communicate lab results, write reports and trouble shoot lab equipment related challenges
- Proactive, ability to work independently, interact well with other departments
- Familiarity with a multi- department clinical lab setting