Program Description: The Research Care and Training Program (RCTP) is collaboration between the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) and University of Washington (UW).
RCTP leads the Family AIDS Care and Education Services (FACES) program, a comprehensive HIV prevention and Treatment.
We have the following vacancy in ECHO Study:
Position: Research Medical Officer
Vacancy No. FN-006-01-2018
Reports to: Study Coordinator
Duty Station: Kisumu
Duration: 1 year Renewable Contract as per KEMRI Scheme of Service.
The first 3 months is a probation period
Position Summary: In collaboration with the ECHO Study coordinator, the incumbent will be supervising the research from the planning to the conclusion.
Supervise the departmental staff and ensuring the data are reported within the specified time frames for reporting to the study Coordinator for decision making.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In charge of the study clinic and Spearhead all study clinic activities
- Perform regular trainings and assessments of all clinic staff regarding protocol adherence, GCP, SOPs, clinic manuals and clinical capabilities
- Carry out medical examinations including gynecological exams
- Assist in coordination of and training for study staff, interns and nurses
- Develop and follow standardized operating procedures (SOPs) for study procedures
- Participate in the clinical care of patients and provide on-going clinical support supervision
- Supervise clinical and fieldworkers and other staff involved in the project
- Liaise with laboratory services to ensure investigations are carried out for study and clinical care and results returned and entered on the database
- Ensuring that all applicable study staff follow the SOPs, oversee accountability and dispensing of study product, recognize and report adverse events
- Quality control: Ensure high quality data collection through regular confirmation that each participant has a complete record, fully entered onto the clinical database.
- Work with the MOH officers to ensure the continued smooth running of the study.
- He/she will also represent the study in scientific forums m and stakeholder meetings in the community
- Write reports regarding clinic performance and hold regular meetings
- Collaborate with the outreach team in consultation with the study coordinator and community liaison officer in development and amendment of recruitment/retention strategies.
- Attend introductory meetings/CME with stake holders during recruitment phase of study
- Assess, monitor and promote participant recruitment/retention strategies in the clinic and the clinic staff.
- Liaise with the study coordinator and community liaison officer and team in modification of recruitment strategies
- Assist in the development of recruitment materials such as IEC materials, prescreening checklists, locator information, referral forms and coupons.
- Ensure the participant eligibility criteria is understood and mastered at all appropriate levels
- Take lead in reporting of all study participant SAEs
- Confirm study participant eligibility, spearhead the participant eligibility team and maintain reports
- Generation and review of all clinic related SOPs and oversee review of the rest of the other departments
- Review of all participants with complicated cases and determine, plan for referral to appropriate consultants
- Provide support to site clinicians on administration of Depo Provera, insertion and removal of Copper IUDs and Jadelle implants
- Regularly conduct proficiency assessments of contraceptive providers (i.e.,clinicians and nurses) at the study clinic
- Support in provision of refresher training on Copper IUD and Jadelle implant technique to site contraceptive providers as needed
- Work closely with the study clinic team and study coordinator to ensure standardization of practice across the clinic
- Provide instruction and guidance regarding care and case management assessment for all contraceptive related issues/questions raised by site contraceptive providers.
- Provide timely site feedback to the Contraceptive/Safety Committee on contraceptive counseling process evaluations
- Provide site post training supervision in collaboration with site master trainer and oversee documentation of these findings
- Allocate duties and supervise clinic staff
- Conduct physical and medical examinations for study participants.
- Perform pelvic examination of participants including cervical cancer screening and genital specimen collection
- Provide contraceptive counselling, HIV/AIDS counselling and testing and STI risk reduction assessment counselling and support.
- Perform pelvic exams, cancer screening, IUD and implant insertions and removals, administer Depo injections to study participants
- Perform IUD, implants insertions and IM Depo injections to respective randomized participants
- Complete case report forms and timely report all possible SAEs to the study safety monitor and KEMRI IRB.
- Address safety queries raised by the study safety monitor
- Perform clinical assessments of participants, carry out medical examination, interpret laboratory results, manage adverse events among study participants and follow them up
- Collect requisite study laboratory and pathological specimens
- Prepare and counsel participants as per the study protocol.
- Perform accurate record keeping and check study forms for completeness and accuracy each day.
- Respond to questions about the study posed by participants and the community.
- Maintain a good relationship with the community and other clinic staff.
- Must develop an in depth understanding of the study’s goals and the logistics required to conduct the study.
- Assess adherence to study products by participants and institute appropriate measures
- Attend to and maintain the clinic help line
- Contact participants with Adverse events, work with the Community team to trace up these participants, counsel them, follow them up and accurately document progress
- Prepare weekly and monthly progress reports of clinic study activities
- Experienced, practicing medical officer (MD/MBChB) with extensive and recent hands-on experience and expertise in supervision and provision of study contraceptive methods (specifically IUDs and Jadelle implants)
- Extensive prior experience in family planning experience particularly IUD and implant insertions, and ability to support training of other providers in provision of various contraceptive methods.
- More than two (2) years Clinical research experience
- Training and/or interest in contraception and reproductive health
- Previous Experience working in family planning/contraceptive administration
- Good Clinical Practice training/Human Subjects Protection training
- Gynecological skill requirements: extensive practical experience with pelvic exams, and comfort/familiarity with female reproductive tract anatomy, including: -Assessment of size, position and mobility of the uterus. -Assessment, investigation and management of abnormal findings at pelvic examination -Assessment of vaginal discharge and sexually transmitted infection
- Up to date with resuscitation and anaphylaxis including competent to give intramuscular injections and subcutaneous administration of local anesthetic
Other Required Skills
- Commitment to integrity and high quality performance
- Conversant with the national HIV policy regulations and reproductive health.
- Experience in administration and Finance/budgeting
- Articulate in both verbal and written communication in English and Swahili.
- Computer literacy
- Strong planning, problem solving and organizational ability
- Proactive with a well-developed capacity for follow through
- Attentive to detail with initiative and flexibility
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to lead a team
- Team worker, able to work in a multi-cultural environment, punctual and high integrity