Program Description: The Research Care and Training Program (RCTP) is collaboration between the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) and University of Washington (UW).
RCTP leads the Family AIDS Care and Education Services (FACES) program, a comprehensive HIV prevention and Treatment.
We have the following vacancy in ECHO Study:
Vacancy No. FN-007-01-2018
Reports to: Study Doctor
Duty Station: Kisumu
Duration: 1 year Renewable Contract as per KEMRI Scheme of Service. The first 3 months is a probation period
Position Summary: In collaboration with the ECHO Study doctor, the incumbent will take lead in the registration of study participants, prescreening of participants, ensuring compliance to the laid down procedures, collation and presentation of reports to the study doctor.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Register and consent study participants and assist with eligibility screening and enrolment of study participants.
- Consent study participants as per study protocol and collect minimal medical and reproductive history
- Work in consultation with the study clinicians in all steps
- Provide contraceptive counselling, HIV/AIDS counselling and testing and STI risk reduction assessment counselling and support.
- Prescreening of participants
- Support in health talks to participants at the clinic and mobilization sources.
- Perform pelvic exams, cervical cancer screening, IUD and implant insertions and removals, administer Depo injections to study participants
- Ensures participant flow.
- Respond to questions about the study posed by participants and the community in consultation with the study doctor.
- Maintain a good relationship with the community and other clinic staff.
- Maintain up to date participant visit notes
- Administer Case Report Forms (CRFs), accurate recording of data on CRFs and ability to perform self QC
- Perform phlebotomy on all study participants
- Assess adherence to study products and take anthropometric measurements
- Prepare weekly and monthly progress reports of personal study activities
- Closely work with other staff members to ensure the success of the study
- Experienced, practicing registered nurse with the Nursing officers council of Kenya with minimum of a diploma in nursing – Registered Community Health Nurse (KRCHN) with extensive and recent handson experience and expertise in provision of contraceptive methods (specifically IUDs and Jadelle implants).
- Must be registered with the Nursing officers council of Kenya.
- More than two (2) years Clinical research experience
- Extensive prior experience in family planning experience particularly IUD and implant insertions, and ability to follow protocol specific instructions in provision of various contraceptive methods.
- Knowledge of HIV prevention and treatment services
- Training and/or interest in contraception and reproductive health
- Previous Experience working in family planning/contraceptive administration
Other Required Skills
- Gynecological skill requirements: extensive practical experience with pelvic exams, and comfort/familiarity with female reproductive tract anatomy, including: Assessment of size, position and mobility of the uterus.
- Assessment, investigation and management of abnormal findings at pelvic examination
- Assessment of vaginal discharge and sexually transmitted infection
- Up to date with resuscitation and anaphylaxis including competent to give intramuscular injections and subcutaneous administration of local anesthetic
- Good Clinical Practice training / Human Subjects Protection training
- Commitment to integrity and high quality performance
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
- Keen and attentive to detail
- Ability to follow instructions and procedures
- Articulate in both verbal and written communication in English and Swahili.
- Counseling skills
- Computer literacy